Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre purchase recommendations?

tegguy

Reaction score
I currently have a 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab 8ft bed with the 5.7 Hemi which I've owned since 2008. The truck currently has 80,000 miles (yes that's not a typo). The truck had been a secondary vehicle for quite a while until recently which it has been used to commute to work 3-4 days a week ~15 miles each way. The ram has been a great truck and there is nothing majorly wrong with it but I can tell some stuff is start to show it's age (like glue on arm rest and headliner).

The wife and I have been considering a new vehicle for a couple years now but the price skyrocket of Covid made us wait and keep our current vehicles but recently it seems like maybe the market is starting to slow down and we're thinking now might be a time to buy.

I've been eyeing a 2500 with the Cummins for a while (been a bit of a dream truck) because we tend to keep vehicles for a long time and want to plan for the future. We have 2 small boys as well.

I've been thinking about a 2500 Limited with the Mega cab but I don't know if that's the right move...

My requirements
- ideally 10000 pound towing capacity with 1000 pound payload at the same time (2000 total payload)... I don't tow much but I want the ability to if we buy a trailer or something or to tow my classic
- surround view camera, blind spot monitor, 12" screen, adaptive cruise
- rambox is a must
- Cummins is a want
- cargo divider and tie downs

Any comments/thoughts/ suggestions? Also any indications on how much below MSRP to offer? This is central Florida

wrvond

Reaction score
Fifteen miles each way is going to cause problems with the CTD. Since you don't tow much you might want to look into a gasser. Unfortunately the Limited is only available in diesel.
Going gas will save you nearly ten grand right from the get go, and maintenance is going to be easier and less expensive as well.

tegguy

Reaction score
Fifteen miles each way is going to cause problems with the CTD. Since you don't tow much you might want to look into a gasser. Unfortunately the Limited is only available in diesel.
Going gas will save you nearly ten grand right from the get go, and maintenance is going to be easier and less expensive as well.
Is there a typical annual mileage the CTD does better with? The truck is driven more than that but not constantly long trips. I'd also like to step it up to more frequently used for other activities as well to lessen the load on our Durango.

I'll look into the gas but I'm struggling to figure out which trims allow for the Ram box option. I'm also trying to plan long term (10+ years) and was thinking the CTD would be better equipped to handle various things (my thinking could be flawed)

Jacob

Reaction score
Mega cab would be great to have with kids.
Even the newer creb cab is a lot bigger than the 2004 quad cab. 8ft bed on a 1500? Nice.
I drive short trips with my diesel all the time. No worries. Who knows though.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not annual mileage that’s the issue with the modern emissions system, it’s the average load and average exhaust temp that matter.

We’re working on 20 years of emissions equipment that doesn’t support “grocery getting” in a HD diesel. They need to be worked more often than not.

I’ll DD my truck every now and then without issue, but when I do it day after day for 2 weeks I can see the effect on the emissions equipment. My daily commute is 15 miles and rural back roads with minimal stopped time, but it’s still not enough load.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
As someone who has driven a truck with an 8ft bed since the late 90s (mostly duallies and one 3/4 ton) the thought of going to a 6'4" bed is just out of the question. we have a 2021 2500 crew cab and I cringe every time I drive it...I know you're looking for interior room going with a mega cab, just thought I'd throw it out there (also knocks out the ram boxes)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who has driven a truck with an 8ft bed since the late 90s (mostly duallies and one 3/4 ton) the thought of going to a 6'4" bed is just out of the question. we have a 2021 2500 crew cab and I cringe every time I drive it...I know you're looking for interior room going with a mega cab, just thought I'd throw it out there (also knocks out the ram boxes)

Long bed is a non-negotiable item for me. Short beds are for 1500’s IMHO.

I’d really like a front 1/2 Ram box with the long bed, added storage with plenty of room for a 5th wheel hitch.

tegguy

Reaction score
Yeah I debating loosing the 8' bed because it comes in so handy but the amount of time I fully utilize the full 8' is rare (mostly just the occasional plywood). I figured I could manage with a 6' 4" bed and still be okay.

tegguy

Reaction score
It’s not annual mileage that’s the issue with the modern emissions system, it’s the average load and average exhaust temp that matter.

We’re working on 20 years of emissions equipment that doesn’t support “grocery getting” in a HD diesel. They need to be worked more often than not.

I’ll DD my truck every now and then without issue, but when I do it day after day for 2 weeks I can see the effect on the emissions equipment. My daily commute is 15 miles and rural back roads with minimal stopped time, but it’s still not enough load.
Good point and I'll take it under consideration. My commute is all freeway both ways and rarely any traffic.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
DD and towing under 12K, I'd go 3/4 ton gas.

Mostly towing, 1 ton Diesel.

Darkside

Reaction score
At the moment it looks like the Mega cab is only available on Laramie and up trim levels and not available with a gas, only diesel. Also didn’t see the option for Ram boxes on a Laramie…. They are really limiting your options on the build and price…. May definitely have to stop and talk to a dealer about what you want to see if it’s even possible…

Summit1

Reaction score
Bear in mind that various options can and will change from time to time, mostly depending upon availability. Check the Ram "Build" web page and verify with the dealership prior to ordering whichever you choose. You may find a number of suitable trucks on the dealership lots; I bought my previous (2017) 2500 and my current (2022) 3500 "off the rack". Both were/are Laramie trim levels, but the options varied between them. For example, my 2017 came with a cargo camera; my 2022 did not (I do not really miss it). The 2022 has stuff my 2017 did not have, so it's a "wash". By the way, while I liked the Air Lift 7500XL's on my 2017, the OEM air suspension on the 2022 is excellent. I did not want the RamBox option, as it (for good reasons) cannot be included with the 5th Wheel/Gooseneck package.

Both have the standard 6'4" box, which works perfectly for our needs. We started in 2017 with a TT of ~8,000# (loaded) plus cargo, to people, and a dog. We now have a 5th Wheel that weighs almost 12,000# loaded (feet don't matter, but pounds do). The 2500 towed and handled the 5th Wheel fairly well, but the new 3500 does it much better... not sure exactly why, but judging by "feel" (i.e., stability, etc.), it was the right choice for an upgrade. By the way, when towing and maneuvering the 5th Wheel, the standard box length has never presented a problem; I do not have a "slider" hitch. If I were prone to hurry when maneuvering and backing, I may join the ranks of those who have crunched their cabs and RV's.

Back to the OP's listed specs and needs, and based upon the price and cost of a new vehicle, I advise considering the possibility of future needs as well. I also advise against buying a "stripper"... a vehicle with a minimum of features and options that one ends up just tolerating rather than enjoying and being comfortable with (and in). The Limited is likely an excellent choice , considering that to add all that stuff to a Laramie or even a Longhorn may cost more than just getting the whole thing at once.

As for the Cummins 6.7 TD, it is made to be "worked"; some highway driving, especially towing, is advised.Both of my trucks have ben great with that engine, although my 2017, shortly after I traded it in, developed a problem with its DPF, which the dealer replaced as part of its Certified Used Vehicle program... the next owner paid nothing for that and loves the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread