Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power loss and lurching while driving in cool weather

medic521

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm new here and at a complete loss.

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins with the FCA made 68RFE transmission. Currently has 28,505 miles on it, and since probably 15,000 miles whenever the weather is cool, it seems to experience momentary power losses when starting from a stop or moving slow (like in a parking lot) or when starting from a stop light/sign where the RPM will briefly drop to 250 and seem like it's going to stall, then it'll lurch a bit and rev back to normal RPM. Also, while driving before the powertrain fully warms up, I'll experience the lurching if I take my foot off the accelerator for a bit then press the accelerator again.

It started as a very intermittent issue, and when the engine warmed up to normal operating temperature it would go away. Most recently, because the weather has cooled off again here in Virginia, after it sat outside in the parking lot at GMU all day (from around 6:45am - 4:20pm) I experienced the problem the entire 20 mile drive home, which has never happened. Every time I started from a stop, the dash would also "ding" like it was alerting me to a fault, but nothing would illuminate on the panel, and all indicator lights illuminate during ignition.

I have an OBD2 reader that also is not reading any fault codes, which I'm guessing is why my dealership says they can't find the issue (I'm sure even after having it overnight and starting it cold, all they do is plug in the diagnostic tool instead of road test it to verify the problem). At first I thought it was an issue with the engine as it almost felt like backfiring (which even with military vehicles abused as they are I've never seen happen), but monitoring temps it kept persisting even after the engine was at normal operating temperature, however the transmission took longer to warm up and I was thinking maybe it had to do with that. But yesterday, when it most recently happened, the Exhaust Regen cycle started during my drive to GMU in the morning and had about 50% completed by the time I got to school and parked. A full one-way drive to or from school is enough to clean out the exhaust filter, however when I got home yesterday after lurching the whole 20 miles, I noticed the filter had not cleaned out much at all. With the conservative way I drive, when the regen cycles my overall average MPG only goes down about 1.0mpg, however as so far it's gone down 2.0mpg and the filter still isn't cleaned out. So I'm guessing for whatever reason the regen isn't generating enough heat to clean the filter and now I'm thinking maybe it is in fact an engine issue and I'm wondering if the regen and powerloss/lurching issue are related?

I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience with both gasoline and diesel engines, but I'm completely new to ones that have an exhaust filter and regen cycles, plus the 100,000 computers in cars now and how easily stuff like that fails, I'm at a complete loss for what might be the issue. If anyone has experienced this and gotten it fixed and can clue me in I would be very grateful, as maybe I can pressure the dealer to actually look at something specific instead of going through the motions of keeping it for 24 hours and only plugging the diagnostic device in and looking for fault codes that aren't being thrown. I want to bring it in for analysis, but because of that I'm hesitant to and half-hoping whatever it is just takes a complete **** and then the dealer will absolutely have something to replace. :mad:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I'm assuming the easy stuff has been checked. filters are good, fluid levels where they should be, etc...

if you can replicate the issue, get a tech in the truck and show him / her / them. other3ise they couldn't give a flip if there's no codes showing.

Users who are viewing this thread