Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Torque Converter Issue?

VictoryDaveAZ

Reaction score
I did a few searches on this and could not see where someone was having the same issue.
Will take it to the dealer, but may get the, That is Normal answer.
This is on my new 2022 Ram 2500 6.7, has done it from new, currently 1000 miles on it.
Have any of you noticed the truck just running harder under normal driving when just getting rolling, up to about 50 mph?
Have tried to feather the throttle and hard throttle and let off and still same issue, not higher RPMs, just running louder.
It seems to go away once warmed up or starting during warmer times.
The other morning on the way to work, about 65 degrees, it ran harder for at least 20 mins before calming back down to a smoother/easier running. If it were just a warm up issue, should have calmed down after just a few miles.
I had a 2016 Ram 6.7 for 7 years and never had this issue.

VictoryDaveAZ

Reaction score
I think you guys are right. The fan clutch makes more sense. It does sound like when my fan engages on my motorhome. Have not had a chance to get it into service and checked out. It is not coming on due to demand, engine or ambient temp. Any ideas why it would come on so often and stay on for at least 20 mins at a time? Has done it when I start out cold, while driving and when started warm. Hopefully I can duplicate it with a service writer. I hate the constant reply of "That is Normal" or "We could not duplicate it".

flan

Reaction score
I think you guys are right. The fan clutch makes more sense. It does sound like when my fan engages on my motorhome. Have not had a chance to get it into service and checked out. It is not coming on due to demand, engine or ambient temp. Any ideas why it would come on so often and stay on for at least 20 mins at a time? Has done it when I start out cold, while driving and when started warm. Hopefully I can duplicate it with a service writer. I hate the constant reply of "That is Normal" or "We could not duplicate it".
Was your ac or defrost on? It will activate to keep the condenser coil cooler.

Xflight29

Reaction score
When I take off first thing in the am my louvers at the grill are closed and defiantly makes it sound different. Just a thought.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
I did notice that on my 2021 2500. It felt like the transmission was slipping, it would go but would not accelerate normally, only lasted a short time but consistently. Only happened when cold and had not been run since the day before. Also noticed that when warmed up it did not occur. Never happened when hauling the 5th wheel but it always had plenty of time to warm up in neutral during hook up. I assumed it was due to the time needed to get the fluid temperature and pressure in the lines high enough. I never really thought much of it since it was fleeting. I only owned that truck for 5 months while waiting for my build. Thus I will never know now since I traded it for a 2022 3500 DRW, it has not occurred on the new truck. I have not seen this mentioned in the forum until now. May not be the same issue.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not much can really go wrong with the torque converter other than if the lockup clutch is slipping but thats usually felt as a shudder

AL 2500

Reaction score
I did a few searches on this and could not see where someone was having the same issue.
Will take it to the dealer, but may get the, That is Normal answer.
This is on my new 2022 Ram 2500 6.7, has done it from new, currently 1000 miles on it.
Have any of you noticed the truck just running harder under normal driving when just getting rolling, up to about 50 mph?
Have tried to feather the throttle and hard throttle and let off and still same issue, not higher RPMs, just running louder.
It seems to go away once warmed up or starting during warmer times.
The other morning on the way to work, about 65 degrees, it ran harder for at least 20 mins before calming back down to a smoother/easier running. If it were just a warm up issue, should have calmed down after just a few miles.
I had a 2016 Ram 6.7 for 7 years and never had this issue.
I have experienced a loud sound roaring when accelerating especially after the truck is warmed up. It is the engine fan engaging. 2022 Ram 2500 laramie Limited

jetrinka

Reaction score
Haven't there been a lot of people reporting issues with fan clutches staying locked up lately?

Firebird

Reaction score
The fan clutch on these new 6.7's is very loud

Users who are viewing this thread