Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to lower a 2019 2500 4x4?

jbluetooth

Reaction score
I’d love some input on this. I have a 2019 2500 diesel that will be used to tow a small fifth wheel all around the country the next couple years. My concern is that these trucks are so tall the fifth wheel isn’t even close to level. I was planning on lifting it a couple inches, but not super stoked about it because it’s already pretty tall and I don’t like adding leverage to the frame and leaf spring mounts. My buddy suggested lowering the truck instead, which I hadn’t event thought of lol. The weight is balanced pretty well and the truck rides great and level with the weight of the trailer. Seems like it would only help stability, gas mileage, and eliminate my concerns about lifting the trailer. Is it possible without spending a fortune? What other things do I need to consider and what would it cost?
Thanks
Jesse

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how much you want to lower it a set of 1/2” lowering soft rate coils from Thuren would ride better empty and squat more loaded, getting you lower. I would then install airbags to increase overall spring rate and improve handling when towing.

jbluetooth

Reaction score
Depending on how much you want to lower it a set of 1/2” lowering soft rate coils from Thuren would ride better empty and squat more loaded, getting you lower. I would then install airbags to increase overall spring rate and improve handling when towing.

The goal would be lowering front and rear about 2, maybe 3”. Is it possible to just use shorter springs rather than softer springs? To eliminate the need for airbags since it currently handles the load beautifully? Ride quality when not towing is fine.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The goal would be lowering front and rear about 2, maybe 3”. Is it possible to just use shorter springs rather than softer springs? To eliminate the need for airbags since it currently handles the load beautifully? Ride quality when not towing is fine.

I’m not sure you can easily lower the front 2-3”.

The easiest answer is what’s called a reverse level, which is lowering the rear to match the front.

You can buy custom lowering springs, but at 2-3” you’ll need to consider track bar length and anti-sway bar link length.

With how inboard the springs are on the 2500 a set of airbags is a great way to improve lateral handling to where it should be. The 2500’s with coils just aren’t as stable laterally as the leaf sprung trucks.

If you’re already level with the trailer hooked up then you’re likely looking at reducing bed to trailer clearance or lifting the trailer. Are your axles underslung or overslung?

jbluetooth

Reaction score
I’m not sure you can easily lower the front 2-3”.

The easiest answer is what’s called a reverse level, which is lowering the rear to match the front.

You can buy custom lowering springs, but at 2-3” you’ll need to consider track bar length and anti-sway bar link length.

With how inboard the springs are on the 2500 a set of airbags is a great way to improve lateral handling to where it should be. The 2500’s with coils just aren’t as stable laterally as the leaf sprung trucks.

If you’re already level with the trailer hooked up then you’re likely looking at reducing bed to trailer clearance or lifting the trailer. Are your axles underslung or overslung?
Bed to trailer is already where I feel comfortable. Leaf springs are already above the axles. That’s what I was worried about, so it’s a major operation to lower the truck a couple inches front and rear?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Bed to trailer is already where I feel comfortable. Leaf springs are already above the axles. That’s what I was worried about, so it’s a major operation to lower the truck a couple inches front and rear?

It’s probably more work than it’s worth. I’m not aware of any aftermarket track bars for lowering a couple inches, but timber grove does sell 3” drop bags to replace the OEM springs. Maybe give them a call.

woody284

Reaction score
Look up reverse level on here. Finn5033 post pictures and what he did to reverse level his truck using same rate/shorter springs and airbags.

I purchased the airbags yesterday and will order the spring in the short future. Shop around and you can lower the rear for under $1,000. The shorter springs (inside) and the airbags (outside/under) should provide you some stability in theory. You can custom order the spring size for your wanted drop. I’m only planning on 1.5” to appear level but still have a little rake for towing. Plus I run a fiberglass topper so I have a couple extra pounds of weight back there.

jsalbre

Reaction score
No one has said it directly, but they’ve hinted at it. It’s going to be difficult to lower the front and would be a bad idea to do so. Climb under there and you’ll see there’s already only about 3-4” of clearance between the axle and the bump stops on front as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread