Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel in oil

Mw7

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 2021 Ram 3500 with 65000 miles and I’ve had nothing but problems since I’ve gotten it. Something is always wrong with the emissions and the engine light is always going on and off. Also, now I have a problem getting diesel in the oil. Had the oil changed and it was 2.5 gal over full on a 5000 mile oil change. Took it to the Dodge place and they had me drive it another 1000 miles after they changed it to see where the oil level was. Took it back and then they put dye in the fuel and had me drive it another 1000 miles. They changed the fuel pump out and said they think fixed it and to drive it 3000 miles and bring it back. I’m on 500 miles with the new fuel pump and the oil is an inch high on dip stick so the fuel is still getting into the oil. Do I finish out the 3000 miles and take it back or call them? I’m worried about all this fuel ruining the motor especially since the engine warranty runs out at 100,000 miles. Anyone else having this problem?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Check out this thread:

Riddick

Reaction score
Do you monitor how often your truck performs an active regen? If not you can monitor the DPF filter gauge screen and it will tell you when it enters an Active regen. From the sounds of it I bet your are tripping an engine code for frequent regens and this is causing your oil to be diluted with fuel. Each time your your truck regens, a little bit of fuel will enter the oil. Under normal operating conditions your truck should only regen every 24 hrs., this is programmed to happen automatically. Outside of the 24 hr. timed regen the truck will initiate a regen if your DPF gauges reaches I think 46%..... somewhere around there. There have been a few members on here whose trucks are constantly regenerating and also have oil dilution issues.

It would help if you could tell us how you use the truck. Do you make multiple small trips around town frequently, sit in stop and go traffic a lot, tow frequently?

Mw7

Reaction score
Do you monitor how often your truck performs an active regen? If not you can monitor the DPF filter gauge screen and it will tell you when it enters an Active regen. From the sounds of it I bet your are tripping an engine code for frequent regens and this is causing your oil to be diluted with fuel. Each time your your truck regens, a little bit of fuel will enter the oil. Under normal operating conditions your truck should only regen every 24 hrs., this is programmed to happen automatically. Outside of the 24 hr. timed regen the truck will initiate a regen if your DPF gauges reaches I think 46%..... somewhere around there. There have been a few members on here whose trucks are constantly regenerating and also have oil dilution issues.

It would help if you could tell us how you use the truck. Do you make multiple small trips around town frequently, sit in stop and go traffic a lot, tow frequently?
When I drive it I usually drive at least 30 miles on a short trip, average days are around 80-100 mile trips (hauling cows, equipment and hay sometimes) and haul farm equipment out of state which is around 550 miles one way. Not in a whole lot of stop and go traffic but I do feel like it’s in regen a lot more than I thought it should be anyways. Sometimes when it’s in regeneration the engine light comes on too.

Riddick

Reaction score
When I drive it I usually drive at least 30 miles on a short trip, average days are around 80-100 mile trips (hauling cows, equipment and hay sometimes) and haul farm equipment out of state which is around 550 miles one way. Not in a whole lot of stop and go traffic but I do feel like it’s in regen a lot more than I thought it should be anyways. Sometimes when it’s in regeneration the engine light comes on too.

It sounds like you are working the truck pretty good so I don't think that is your issue. If you are able to I would start with checking all of your charge pipe connections for boost leaks. You can do this by visually inspecting for holes and ensuring all pipes are seated correctly and clamps are tightened. The best way would be to pressurize your system, there are several kits you can make in which you use an air compressor to pressurize your charge pipes, if you have a leak you will hear it.

Another thing to check is your air filter, make sure you are running an OEM filter. I have personally installed a non OEM filter (WIX) and my truck was going into regeneration every few hundred miles. The second I swapped back to a OEM filter my truck went back to only doing 24 hr. timed regens. I don't think this is your issue but I would still check to rule it out. Considering your oil level was 2.5 gallons overfilled I would be extremely concerned, you may have caused damage to the engines internal components. This is a hot topic on this forum so I am sure other members will chime in and offer more advice. Best of luck to ya.

Units

Reaction score
Towing with any weight for some distance and still having frequent regeneration issues, you definitely have a problem. You sure it was 2 1/2 gallons over full? That’s damn near double the amount of oil the truck takes to fill. I’d say that now they are aware there is a problem, document everything and follow their instructions.

Glassman

Reaction score
I’m also way over full although my dealership claims this is a “normal” level. I’m on warranty visit #4 for frequent regeneration. They have replaced the MAF and DPF after a STAR case was opened and closed. Has anyone found solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 21

flan

Reaction score
I’m also way over full although my dealership claims this is a “normal” level. I’m on warranty visit #4 for frequent regeneration. They have replaced the MAF and DPF after a STAR case was opened and closed. Has anyone found solutions?
Normal level to me would be in the “safe” zone. What do I know I’m not a dealership tech :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread