Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil filter changeouts how much of a pain

schlite60

Reaction score
Looks like the engine oil filter going to be a pain to change; any tips to make it easier?

ARR

Reaction score
Looks like the engine oil filter going to be a pain to change; any tips to make it easier?
Marion Blare has an excellent youtube channel where he shows how he maintains his Cummins. I followed his technique and didn't spill a drop of oil.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Marion Blare has an excellent youtube channel where he shows how he maintains his Cummins. I followed his technique and didn't spill a drop of oil.
Marion puts out some decent vids, you just have to run them at 1.5 - 1.75 speed.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Anyone tried that homemade tool on a 3500 HO?

Not that i recall needing something like that on my last oil change but it might be handy.

By the way you spelled @ARR wrong

2001WS6

Reaction score
Proper filter wrench and filter plug makes it a piece of cake.

I did my first change with none of them and it kinda sucked. Getting the filter kicked my ass. o_O

Plug was posted.
This is the wrench I bought.
Oil filter wrench

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the plug. That way it's just as easy to pre-fill the new filter before putting it back in.

If you are pre-filling, make sure you do so (slowly) into the outer filter ports. If you fill the inner, any contaminants in there are going straight to the engine.

Shamefully, I haven't checked on the CTD, but most engines will crank no-start if you hold the pedal to the floor and run the starter. A few no-start cranks should "pre-fill" the filter.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
If you are pre-filling, make sure you do so (slowly) into the outer filter ports. If you fill the inner, any contaminants in there are going straight to the engine.

Shamefully, I haven't checked on the CTD, but most engines will crank no-start if you hold the pedal to the floor and run the starter. A few no-start cranks should "pre-fill" the filter.

I learned that trick with my old Ford. That is how I did it every oil change. Like you, I have not tried it with the Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread