Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-roading - AEV or Carli

jems007

Reaction score
There was another 7 page thread here that did nothing but make me shake my head. Seven pages talking about off-roading and not a single mention of shock travel. So here we go.

I am a Jeeper. I know that coils hold the vehicle up mostly, shocks absorb, and the length of the shock defines how much travel you’ll get—all things being equal with control arms and radius arms.

I also know keeping wheels on the ground is crucial off-roading. I have never ran AEV but I laugh when I see people talking smack about them trying to keep the geometry solid. Let’s just table that for a moment…yes a coil should be tuned to a shock or vice versa..whatever, the coil doesn’t define the articulation. The shock does. The coil length doesn’t matter as long as it doesn’t fall off—so spacers don’t scare me. as long as it can support the flex I want with my shocks and not fall out.

does anyone know if the Bilsten 8100 shocks on the AEV kit have a longer stroke than the Carli shocks?

Enve46

Reaction score
There was another 7 page thread here that did nothing but make me shake my head. Seven pages talking about off-roading and not a single mention of shock travel. So here we go.

I am a Jeeper. I know that coils hold the vehicle up mostly, shocks absorb, and the length of the shock defines how much travel you’ll get—all things being equal with control arms and radius arms.

I also know keeping wheels on the ground is crucial off-roading. I have never ran AEV but I laugh when I see people talking smack about them trying to keep the geometry solid. Let’s just table that for a moment…yes a coil should be tuned to a shock or vice versa..whatever, the coil doesn’t define the articulation. The shock does. The coil length doesn’t matter as long as it doesn’t fall off—so spacers don’t scare me. as long as it can support the flex I want with my shocks and not fall out.

does anyone know if the Bilsten 8100 shocks on the AEV kit have a longer stroke than the Carli shocks?
I did a fair bit of research to find the shock travel on the AEVs as I was about to buy one and came up empty.

I’m a big fan of Thurens stuff as it has worked well for me and I’m also a big Jeep guy previously- had Savvy tuned Foxs with their/Currie lift. So I’m a big proponent of having matched valving to spring rate. I would have to imagine AEV spent a good amount of time valving their shocks accordingly to match the spring rate of the stock springs. However they do run into contradiction here- they mention there’s 80 some spring combos Ram uses and that’s why they stuck with stock springs. Ok, so does that mean they also have 80 different shock valving combos? And I say this as not a hater if AEV. I don’t love how they accomplish what they do but I am in love with their Prospectir XLs and I doubt I’d be unhappy with it. I don’t like being limited on what I can change is my biggest gripe.

I think Carli takes a different approach, Thuren as well, they’re main focus in offroad performance and maintaining stock capability with towing/hauling second while AEV is vise versa. I don’t take the right vs wrong approach, everyone is different with different needs. Purely off-road you’d have a hard time being a proper full Carli or Thuren kit, in my opinion.

jems007

Reaction score
I did a fair bit of research to find the shock travel on the AEVs as I was about to buy one and came up empty.

I’m a big fan of Thurens stuff as it has worked well for me and I’m also a big Jeep guy previously- had Savvy tuned Foxs with their/Currie lift. So I’m a big proponent of having matched valving to spring rate. I would have to imagine AEV spent a good amount of time valving their shocks accordingly to match the spring rate of the stock springs. However they do run into contradiction here- they mention there’s 80 some spring combos Ram uses and that’s why they stuck with stock springs. Ok, so does that mean they also have 80 different shock valving combos? And I say this as not a hater if AEV. I don’t love how they accomplish what they do but I am in love with their Prospectir XLs and I doubt I’d be unhappy with it. I don’t like being limited on what I can change is my biggest gripe.

I think Carli takes a different approach, Thuren as well, they’re main focus in offroad performance and maintaining stock capability with towing/hauling second while AEV is vise versa. I don’t take the right vs wrong approach, everyone is different with different needs. Purely off-road you’d have a hard time being a proper full Carli or Thuren kit, in my opinion.

I appreciate that. You have a good point that there are many different coil rates from the factory.

I’ll have to check the Carli site. I find it interesting nobody really wants to share their stroke length for their shocks. They said it’s “proprietary”—but any Joe blow could just take the shock and measure it. It feels like a cop out. Why not just share the stroke length and not hide it? Raises flags for me.

I tow a 7000lb trailer and appreciate the payload I have on my rebel Cummins. It’s approx 1800lbs and I’d rather not eat into it if I can.

jems007

Reaction score
So I found on the Carli site that their backcountry system actually has more travel than the pin top, coming in at 9.6”, and their commuter has the most at 10”. Now if I could put find the AEV Bilstein travel numbers…

Enve46

Reaction score
I appreciate that. You have a good point that there are many different coil rates from the factory.

I’ll have to check the Carli site. I find it interesting nobody really wants to share their stroke length for their shocks. They said it’s “proprietary”—but any Joe blow could just take the shock and measure it. It feels like a cop out. Why not just share the stroke length and not hide it? Raises flags for me.

I tow a 7000lb trailer and appreciate the payload I have on my rebel Cummins. It’s approx 1800lbs and I’d rather not eat into it if I can.
Carli makes an R2 heavy duty rear coil that’ll maintain factory payload.

jems007

Reaction score
Carli makes an R2 heavy duty rear coil that’ll maintain factory payload.
Ah I just saw that. Pretty sweet. So down the road if I want to run 40s with a 10” wide wheel, would the Carli allow that? The AEV allows up to 41” with their axle relocation parts. Carli says 37 with their 3.25 kit.

Enve46

Reaction score
So I found on the Carli site that their backcountry system actually has more travel than the pin top, coming in at 9.6”, and their commuter has the most at 10”. Now if I could put find the AEV Bilstein travel numbers…
I doubt AEV had Bilstein create a whole new shock. Typically they take an off the shelf shock for a given lift height and alter the valving.

Ah I just saw that. Pretty sweet. So down the road if I want to run 40s with a 10” wide wheel, would the Carli allow that? The AEV allows up to 41” with their axle relocation parts. Carli says 37 with their 3.25 kit.
I don’t know you need the relocation parts with you’re running their flares. People have ran 38s under stock openings with leveling kits and Carlis 3.25” systems. I can’t imagine you’d need to relocate the axle with bigger wheel wells and many have discussed this theory.

Users who are viewing this thread