Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OBD reader

Xflight29

Reaction score
Evening, looking to possibly purchase a Bosch 1150 OBD reader. What are some readers to look at? thanks.

Ram7

Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend? Are you just trying to read and clear codes or would you like it to do more?

Units

Reaction score
You can monitor regen info using OBDLink MX+. I use the OBDLink app on my phone.
What size screen do you have on your radio? Was wondering, I’ve got the 8.4” and I use apple, you can select which apps to connect to on your phone through car play. Will your radio, if equipped, display the information from that app?

Blackpowder

Reaction score
What size screen do you have on your radio? Was wondering, I’ve got the 8.4” and I use apple, you can select which apps to connect to on your phone through car play. Will your radio, if equipped, display the information from that app?
I have the 8.4 screen. It would be nice to display the info on the main screen, but I have not looked into whether that is possible. I currently use my Android phone when I want to look at any data.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't display anything that isn't on the Android Auto approved list.

There's a couple hacks for Android, but they're all pretty kludgy.

The one that's most promising is AA Torque that shims Torque into Android Auto. Of course, you need to pay for Torque Pro. That said, I found the PID's in torque and subsequently AA Torque unreliable for the current 6.7L PCM.

There's several AA mirror apps, some that don't require root, but all require dev mode and "untrusted sources" apk installs so YMMV.

Units

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into maybe I-dash to be able to see EGTs and now that I know the OBD link lets you see different engine values, I’ll probably look to go that route. Besides, once I get the OBD link, JSCAN (cause I use IPhone) and the bypass cable, I’ll be able to monkey around with some function settings on my truck. Win Win in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread