Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No compression in number 5 cylinder 6.7 cumins

n6454g

Reaction score
Lot's of Youtube videos out there that probably show it better than can be explained. Just search for "Grid heater killer bolt" or something similar. It's basically just grabbing the wire that attaches to the grid heater connection and giving it a wiggle/jiggle. If it feels loose, best stop driving it and get it checked out.
I’m not the only one I guess but I was also told the only the dealer techs know about doing it and supposedly not know to general public or owners. Not sure how true it is since the last guys comments about guys who only know how to put fuel in the truck. Hahaha

Nick

Reaction score
Personally l would talk to Ram about this happening . Poor engineering and design are the problem . That is not a maintenance item that you need to check this bolt that you are not even aware of being a problem . Cummins or Ran should reimburse you . Just like the fuel pump and now Trannys . I think you have a solid case . There is a history though rare .

flan

Reaction score
I don’t think they ever owned up to the killer dowel pin or vp44 out of warranty. They kinda accepted the 53 blocks past warranty but it was case by case. Worth a shot I guess...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t think they ever owned up to the killer dowel pin or vp44 out of warranty. They kinda accepted the 53 blocks past warranty but it was case by case. Worth a shot I guess...
The VP44 they did sort of own up to it hence they went to the in tank pump for some of the 01-02 trucks but yea they try to ignore the issues they can unless they get their hands forced by the NHTSA

flan

Reaction score
The VP44 they did sort of own up to it hence they went to the in tank pump for some of the 01-02 trucks but yea they try to ignore the issues they can unless they get their hands forced by the NHTSA
Yea Im talking reimbursement outside of warranty.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea Im talking reimbursement outside of warranty.
But no manufacture really does that unless they are forced by NHTSA. Take the turbo actuator for example they only have certain 2015 3500s on the list when it affected all the 10-18 year CTD trucks

flan

Reaction score
But no manufacture really does that unless they are forced by NHTSA. Take the turbo actuator for example they only have certain 2015 3500s on the list when it affected all the 10-18 year CTD trucks
Yea I was basically replying to nick who posted that OP should call in and ask for reimbursement. It’s worth a call I guess but I wouldn’t bet on a check showing up. Only out of warranty failures I can recall was for the 53, they would supply parts (short block) if you paid for labor.

Users who are viewing this thread