Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan M.

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just traded in my beloved 2010 Toyota Tundra for a 2021 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins Diesel. I tow a 22ft Alumaweld fishing boat and a 22ft Outdoor RV travel trailer. Loved my Tundra for all the around town stuff I do and house projects. Couldn't ask for a more dependable rig. Unfortunately, when towing long distances the 5.7 iForce V8 just wasn't suitable for my needs. Main concerns were MPG went down to 7, 10 if I added a fuel additive and used high octane fuel. The other concern was mileage between fueling, at 200 miles I was getting desperate for a gas station. So after lots of research and talking with other diesel owners of various makes I pulled the trigger on the "hummin Cummins." I haven't towed yet, still working on break-in miles, (500). I went with the 6'4" bed for the smaller wheelbase and tighter turning radius for maneuvering through tight camp sites and boat ramps. We also trailer to Canada and the BC ferry system charges on a per length and height of rig bases. Not for the faint of wallet.:) Anyway, I think this will make a wonderful towing platform once I get all my accessories added, canopy, running boards, bumper step, bug guards, window louvers, etc. Ha!

Dan M.
Washington State

garyh

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just traded in my beloved 2010 Toyota Tundra for a 2021 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins Diesel. I tow a 22ft Alumaweld fishing boat and a 22ft Outdoor RV travel trailer. Loved my Tundra for all the around town stuff I do and house projects. Couldn't ask for a more dependable rig. Unfortunately, when towing long distances the 5.7 iForce V8 just wasn't suitable for my needs. Main concerns were MPG went down to 7, 10 if I added a fuel additive and used high octane fuel. The other concern was mileage between fueling, at 200 miles I was getting desperate for a gas station. So after lots of research and talking with other diesel owners of various makes I pulled the trigger on the "hummin Cummins." I haven't towed yet, still working on break-in miles, (500). I went with the 6'4" bed for the smaller wheelbase and tighter turning radius for maneuvering through tight camp sites and boat ramps. We also trailer to Canada and the BC ferry system charges on a per length and height of rig bases. Not for the faint of wallet.:) Anyway, I think this will make a wonderful towing platform once I get all my accessories added, canopy, running boards, bumper step, bug guards, window louvers, etc. Ha!

Dan M.
Washington State
You are going to LOVE your truck! I too had a Tundra (13 Ltd) that I really really liked, until I couldn't wait any more for the overdue update and bought a 19 1500 Ram BH. that was a fabulous truck but I didn't like the towing mileage. Same as Tundra 8-9 if I had a tail wind. Got my 21 2500 Limited Cummins two weeks ago, put 500 miles on it and towed the toyhauler camper (7500 #). This truck is a game changer! Effortless towing and although we didn't go far, it was pulling 13-14 on the lie-o-meter. Could hardly tell the camper was behind me. And the full on engine brake is amazing!
Get new 2.5" receivers through. I used the supplied adapter with my little trailer and it sounded like a gattling gun was behind me. Bought new shanks 6" drops for the WDH and other hitch. Huge difference! Great choice on the truck. You, like I, will wonder why we didn't do this years ago!

Dan M.

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Congratulations on your new truck!
I have not quite reached my 500 mile break-in miles yet. It was suppose to rain here this weekend and I am having the underbody undercoated next week, so trying to keep the underside as clean as possible. We do a lot of mountain driving in the winter and the road crews use a salt and chemical mixture. Hopefully they wont screw up any sensors when they spray on the undercoating material. Fingers crossed, but I will take my chances verse a rusted out truck in 6 years. But in the meantime I have been busy installing all my accessories, nerf bars from "nFab," window louvers front and back and front bug guard all from "AVS." Front and rear seat covers and floor mats (it is still a work truck after all.) I will remove the front seat covers when we travel in the summer to enjoy those nice ventilated seats. Still waiting on my matching canopy (about 8 weeks out) and the rear bumper step. Kind of surprised that RAM doesn't have a better way of accessing the bed as a standard feature. Bad knees and getting too old to be climbing in and out of truck beds.

However, in the end, this truck was bought to tow and that will be its primary purpose. Looking forward to that extra power towing over mountain passes and longer cruise distance between fill-ups. I did buy a 7" hitch extender from a 2 1/2" to 2" so I could lower my tailgate when towing the travel trailer. I also have a "Curt" 2 1/2" forged (no welds, 20,000 # rated, 8" drop) to tow my boat and utility trailer. Hopefully, the tongue weight of the travel trailer in combination with the equalizer hitch will eliminate any "gatling gun" effect.

Anyway, thanks for the shout out from another Tundra guy who finally saw the "diesel" light. Hope you have many happy towing miles.

Users who are viewing this thread