Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the group

cruzinZ

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Currently narrowing down the decision on the right 3/4 ton diesel to pick up. Currently we are using my wife’s GX460 to tow an older 22’ competition ski boat to the lake ~5500 lbs with trailer. Looking at upgrading to a Mastercraft X80. It’s 28.5’ in length. Total length is around 32’ with the trailer included and weighing in right around 9k lbs W/trailer. I’ve eliminated all half ton trucks because I would like to stay under 85% of max gross capacity for a safety factor. When choosing between gas and diesel the diesel just makes sense from a fuel economy when towing. I would like to take the new boat to some further distances away from home and the cost savings between gas and diesel would be flushed out rather quickly over the long term ownership.

After doing more research and talking to mechanics that work on all kinds of modern diesels I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s more of a pick your poison as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I really like the I6 Cummins power plant. The only thing that I question are the electronics and ECU problems that are a known issue within 2500 & 3500. I’m going to chock it up as a Chrysler thing.

My ideal truck would be Ram body style, Cummins engine, Alison transmission, interior of a Lexus & electrical reliability of a Toyota.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to HDRAMS.

You'll never break even on diesel vs gas. Hook a trailer to them and they're going to get 10MPG. Diesel carries a higher maintenance cost. Most fleets are moving to Gas, there's a reason for that.

ECU problems? Not that I'm aware of.

Emissions issues? Yes. and Yes. Worse if you're not towing heavy with them most of the time.

For a 9K boat, I'd stick to a gas truck. Personally up to around 12K I'd be a gas truck guy and this is my second diesel.

For your use case, I'd stick to a 2500 gassser. Drive them all, pick the one you like.

Users who are viewing this thread