Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to forum, and asking for advice

SkilledTurkey

Reaction score
First off, thank you for all the helpful information posted over the last few years. I have joined to try to tap into some more of that knowledge.

My current rig is a 2019 ram 2500, my 5th dodge/ ram I have owened and no real complaints until yesturday.

Driving about 80km/h I had a evic notice "sevice exhaust system see dealer". Almost total loss of power and engine surging, took the back roads 5km home, with zero acceletation. Scaned for codes and got multiple p0087 low fuel pressure.
Checked rear filter and its was dark grey, never seen that before. I then ran a magent over the pleats and found very fine metal shavings. Now im thinking CP4 failure. Put a new filter in and sent it to dealer, after confiming its covered by cummins warrenty (my standard warrenty has expired).
Just recieved a call from the Dealer saying they checked the fuel quality and filters and It must have been air in the system. I explained everything to them as mentioned above, they refuse to believe it could be the pump.

The problem is now they insist on giving the truck back and I have to pay for thier time, because they seem to blame the new filter install which occured after the breakdown.

And advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you

Jacob

Reaction score
Did it run ok after you replaced the filter and was it running ok when you brought it in?
Did you happen to replace both filters while you were at it?
My understanding of the cp4 failure is that its catastrophic and it doesn't run after it goes out.
How long had it been since the filters were replaced?

SkilledTurkey

Reaction score
Did it run ok after you replaced the filter and was it running ok when you brought it in?
Did you happen to replace both filters while you were at it?
My understanding of the cp4 failure is that its catastrophic and it doesn't run after it goes out.
How long had it been since the filters were replaced?
Thanks for the response. Replaced both filters, ran just as bad after. Will Idle but wont throttle up. Only about 5000km since I changed both filters and have never gone past 10000km. Every other time they have been dirty, but this time the lower filter had a dark grey coating.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well poop. It only takes few key cycles to get the air out the system.

SkilledTurkey

Reaction score
Well poop. It only takes few key cycles to get the air out the system.
Yup, it primed up just fine and drove it around the block before calling the dealer. The metal flakes in the pleats of the filter is what had me concerned. They told me the filters looked fine, no kidding i just put them in before i called you...lol

Jacob

Reaction score
Is the dealer saying its running fine now that they officially replaced the filters again? Sounds like crap to me.

SkilledTurkey

Reaction score
Is the dealer saying its running fine now that they officially replaced the filters again? Sounds like crap to me.
I have a feeling they didnt drive it more than 50 feet. Dealer said the fuel quality and filters looked good, and the P0087 code must have been air. So I must have randomly had air in my fuel system after 5000km of diving. Didnt take long to diagnose
It is a long weekend after all....

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Did the 2019s have a CP4? I thought that was a 2020 thing, but I might have that mixed up.

Did you keep the old filter? Maybe show it to them. Might also just be a sh*tty dealer. Any other dealers around to get it a second opinion?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@RamCares

Sure sounds like a failed CP4 and a lackluster dealer. Get Ramcares on it if need be.

The Y78 recall affirms the problem with CP4 pumps and all current fixes are getting the recall kit pump.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Did the 2019s have a CP4? I thought that was a 2020 thing, but I might have that mixed up.

Did you keep the old filter? Maybe show it to them. Might also just be a sh*tty dealer. Any other dealers around to get it a second opinion?

19-20. Late 20 trucks had an update CP4.2 symmetrical cam and matching software but that was it until the CP-ISB21S3 came in 21.

SkilledTurkey

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys.
They are aware of the recall and the service manager has been very helpful to this point.
The issue must be the work order and wording of the issue.
Truck will be there for awhile as im told there are no instructions or parts from FCA available. Not in canada anyway.
I am hopeful they take a closer look next week and I did save the old filter.
The exhaust system warning seems to br common with hpfp failure. Sucks that this is the first the dealer has had come in.

Sponge60

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys.
They are aware of the recall and the service manager has been very helpful to this point.
The issue must be the work order and wording of the issue.
Truck will be there for awhile as im told there are no instructions or parts from FCA available. Not in canada anyway.
I am hopeful they take a closer look next week and I did save the old filter.
The exhaust system warning seems to br common with hpfp failure. Sucks that this is the first the dealer has had come in.
@SkilledTurkey Did you get the issue fixed? Any update?

Users who are viewing this thread