Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new 2022 blue DEF code format

OLEJOE

Reaction score
When buying the jugs, in addition to checking date codes and safety seals, also be sure that the fluid has been stored somewhere out of direct sunlight and preferably in a climate controlled portion of the store. A lot of these gas stations and auto parts stores love to store the DEF in the entry way, where they’re bombarded with sunlight, and experience temperature fluctuations repeatedly.

Buy the ones most recently manufactured if possible.

Best practice for the DEF system in these trucks is to run the tank down to 1/4 level, add one jug (2.5 gal) and that takes you to 3/4. Run it down to 1/4 and repeat.

Repeatedly and consistently running the DEF level down below 1/4 or 1/8 can significantly increase the risk of crystallization contamination on the DEF sending unit. Likewise, filling it more than the max capacity on the tank can also create issues. (Specifically where the level sensor can no longer detect the fluid level). There’s a gap of air that’s required at the top of the fluid in the tank. When that gap gets filled with fluid, you get a “no-echo” situation from the sonar-style level sensor.
I also put a 2.5 gallon jug in mine when it reaches a 1/4 tank. Don’t like to keep it @ 100% and don’t like not being able to empty the jug all at once.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
For anyone that has run across this date coding - 20192423003 - on a box of Peak Blue DEF:

I call OWL (licenser of PEAK Blue Def manufacturing) this morning. In the above number the 2019 is the plant code. The 24 is year plus one, so 2023. The 230 is the days PAST in the year before made, so Aug. 18, 2023.

This is different than the codes that start with letters, like GA24230xxxxx. Here GA is the plant code, 24 is year plus one, so 2023, and the 230 is the days LEFT in the year after made, so May 15, 2023.

These are different yet from the codes in Post #9. I asked the guy why they can't use the same coding. He replied that each licensed manufacturer uses their own date coding.

I guess this means that when you see a different code, PEAK didn't change it. You just got a box from a different production plant.

He also gave me a good understanding of the benefit of using the Blue DEF platinum. He said it resisted the formation of crystals and can help clean up existing crystals (help, not cure). He explained that for steady use, you probably don't need it. However, for less frequent refills, like an RV tow vehicle in the off-season, it might be worthwhile.

He also emphasized to examine the box and lid carefully for tampering and to make sure the funnel packet was sealed. Also, do not use a different funnel unless there is no trace of oil or fuel on it, i.e. perfectly clean.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
What a unnecessary PITA. Gotta love Walmart def, plain and simple date code. (Cheap too).

Users who are viewing this thread