Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need input from Colorado / Rocky Mountain owners on Hemi vs Cummins

1651Naismith

Reaction score
As the title says, I need some input from fellow truck owners in the Colorado and Rocky Mountain regions on which power train to go with. First, some background on me....been driving a 2008 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.7 Cummins for almost 13 years. Love the Mega Cab and love the Cummins. We don’t tow and don’t see that changing in the near future. Family trips and vacations into the mountains will see us with 1300-1500 payload.

For that, the Cummins has been spectacular providing lots of power over 12k ft mountain passes (ex: Cottonwood, Independence), lots of passing power when needed, exhaust brake coming down, 500 mile range, etc.

However, for a new truck (2500 Mega Cab Limited), I’m not sure I want the added hassles that come with the Cummins (upfront cost, emissions issues if not working it regularly, waiting for the cp4 to blow, etc). So, I’ve been seriously considering the Hemi, which I think will be just fine for trips up and down I25, visiting family in TX, regular trips to DEN, around town etc. My concern with the Hemi is I will find it underpowered at altitude going over the steeper climbs and i’ll be constantly redlining it like I had to with my 2001 F-150 before upgrading to the 2500.

I would be interested in the hearing the experiences of others who have the Hemi and or driven both on the steeper grades at altitude and what they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It is obvious that the Cummins will run better at elevation (thank you turbo)

But you really could get by with the HEMI

The 6.4l HEMI is a true HeavyDuty engine. BGE...Big Gas Engine.

You are not even loading the truck near 1500 capacity...but the Cummins will get better MPG...but you can buy cheaper gas than diesel

You should drive both. You might just find the Hemi more pleasant. I hated listening to the Cummins chatter on my 2013...but the new trucks are quieter.

It really is personal preference.

The Cummins will lose less power at elevation and return better MPG at the added cost of diesel.

Both will be more powerful than the 2001 F150. Well, much more powerful

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Thanks.

I neglected to mention that I have driven both back in Feb, just not in mega cab limited (big horn crew cabs). It was the typical dealer test drive of 20-30 mins on nearby highway and roads. That gave me the conviction the Hemi would be fine for 80% of my use.

It’s the remaining 20% in the high country both on and off road that has me concerned with going naturally aspirated.

I should also mention my “fun” car is a Charger Hellcat and my experience with the ZF + Hemi (albeit supercharged) has been nothing but pure joy.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to think about off road. The Cummins has about 1000 more lbs added to the truck.

Reason the POWERWAGON doesn't get the Cummins.

I sure wish they would give the 6.4l BGE a supercharger option. That would help even the score at elevation

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd CTD after having a gasser HD (360) and some smaller pickups/SUV's. If I wasn't towing heavy, I'd run the Hemi. Then again, I'd rather have the PW instead of a Mega.

Did you run either test drive up I-70 out of Denver to at least Genesee and back? That would give you a quick gauge.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Had both my 2015 1500 and my current 2500 in high country, both have Hemi's, both do fine. Been up to 12k ft without issues. Yeah, they lose a little bit of power, but what doesn't? I haven't towed a lot up there, but I have hauled full loads, and I've offroaded some. I will say that going downhill on the steeper grades is not as easily handled as with exhaust braking, but it's quite manageable. I remember the days before fuel injection, what my generation considered "naturally aspirated" - and the problems with carbs at high altitudes. :) Modern ECUs and fuel injection solved all those issues. I like the Hemi, and I like the extra half ton I can carry if needed thanks to the Hemi. If I was routinely towing big stuff, I'd have the Cummins in a heartbeat.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
This is my 2nd CTD after having a gasser HD (360) and some smaller pickups/SUV's. If I wasn't towing heavy, I'd run the Hemi. Then again, I'd rather have the PW instead of a Mega.

Did you run either test drive up I-70 out of Denver to at least Genesee and back? That would give you a quick gauge.

Thanks! I’m in COS and would love to take one for a day and run it up I-24 up to Divide or Cripple Creek to test it. Probably need to see if one of the local dealers is willing to let me try that.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Had both my 2015 1500 and my current 2500 in high country, both have Hemi's, both do fine. Been up to 12k ft without issues. Yeah, they lose a little bit of power, but what doesn't? I haven't towed a lot up there, but I have hauled full loads, and I've offroaded some. I will say that going downhill on the steeper grades is not as easily handled as with exhaust braking, but it's quite manageable. I remember the days before fuel injection, what my generation considered "naturally aspirated" - and the problems with carbs at high altitudes. :) Modern ECUs and fuel injection solved all those issues. I like the Hemi, and I like the extra half ton I can carry if needed thanks to the Hemi. If I was routinely towing big stuff, I'd have the Cummins in a heartbeat.

Thanks - very helpful. The extra payload on the Hemi is definitely a benefit as even with my meager numbers, I’m starting to get close to the door stickers on Limited Mega Cabs with the Cummins. And there have been more than a few times off road in mud or snow that I’ve cursed the heavy front end of my current truck.

To your point the exhaust brake sure is nice coming down, but it’s not essential.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m in COS and would love to take one for a day and run it up I-24 up to Divide or Cripple Creek to test it. Probably need to see if one of the local dealers is willing to let me try that.

Sorry, thought I read Denver. Yup, a spirited haul up 24 would probably work.

I'll tell you that the CTD front end will tend to push a lot more with all that extra weight up there. Having wheeled with my gasser and a friend's diesel, I pulled him out a few times - mostly in snow - due to the heavy front end and never stuck mine.

Users who are viewing this thread