Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler/resonator question

Mulely

Reaction score
Those of you who have done or "know someone" who's done the forbidden deed, what muffler/resonator seems to make towing the best for reducing drone? About to do the thing and concerned about it. I'm eyeballing the Aero Turbine 4040xl but don't see many videos of them out there. The huge Donaldson seems popular as well as the ones with a corkscrew in the muffler.

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

woody284

Reaction score
I’ll chime in to maybe get you some movement. I tried the magnaflow replacement and it was too loud for me. Had some drone and even my kids said it was too loud. I put the stock huge muffler back on.

Then I cut the resonator by the tire off and repositioned the tip angle. This made it a touch louder and I do not hear any drone. I get ask from time to time what exhaust I have and that it sounds good.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I did the resonator delete on mine as well. Repositioned the pipe so it was tucked in nice and tight.
Just a little louder than stock at idle and WOT. But nice and mellow otherwise and no drone.
Pics in my build thread.
Cheap and easier than a cat back system.

Mulely

Reaction score
I should clarify this is for a 2020 3500 with a 6.7.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to quiet the truck down. The Aeros can still drone from what I've heard/seen and the big 51" Donaldson seems to be the best option for really quieting the trucks down without killing power. If my truck were to ever hit an outsized bump that caused things to fall off I'd be going with the Donaldson. I love how quiet these trucks are in factory form when doing long road trips and I'd hate to lose that. You'll also want to install it as close to the turbo outlet as you can if the goal is to kill drone in the cab.

Here's a youtube video of the big Donaldson -

Mulely

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to quiet the truck down. The Aeros can still drone from what I've heard/seen and the big 51" Donaldson seems to be the best option for really quieting the trucks down without killing power. If my truck were to ever hit an outsized bump that caused things to fall off I'd be going with the Donaldson. I love how quiet these trucks are in factory form when doing long road trips and I'd hate to lose that. You'll also want to install it as close to the turbo outlet as you can if the goal is to kill drone in the cab.

Here's a youtube video of the big Donaldson -
That's what I'm going for. We just drove from N. Alabama to Key West and it was just peaceful. I wouldn't want to lose that at all. Especially with the wife with me. 20 years ago I would have just straight piped it but things are different now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread