Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG/power increase tune? Without delete?

Wilder

Reaction score
This is a question for all you "Canadians" out there... Wondering aboot your deletes and tunes. There are a few youtube videos where guys achieve incredible MPG (with power increase) after deleting and tuning their truck. Like 25% increase in efficiency. How much of this is attributable to the tune, and how much to the delete? It's hard to believe these trucks expend 25% of the chemical energy in diesel fuel pushing exhaust through a DPF, but I have heard crazier.

Id much prefer to not mess around with deletes, but that MPG is tempting for someone who puts alot of miles on. Can it be done with an intact tune? My upcoming '22 will be my first diesel truck so I really have no idea.

MtnRider

Reaction score
25% LOLOLOLOL .... Nope. The only trucks that may come close to that are the 2011-12 trucks that did not use DEF (they got horrible mpg in stock form). And it's not because of expending more energy it's because they relied on EGR and in cylinder events to reduce emissions.

Deleting a late model Ram will certainly get you power (and possibly a trashed transmission) but very little in MPG gain. I saw Maybe 1/2 mpg gain.

There are 2 things guy's lie about, and one is the mpg's their truck gets.

Last edited:

rfullen280

Reaction score
Here's proof of concept... is it possible the Tune caused the power gain? Yes, I'm sure that's part of it. But let's just pretend...for "SCIENCE!" that only a delete happened (at least...that's my Canadian Assumption)... and the tune is stock (that's what it says on the box). The power gain is only what...about 7%? So, that's actually pretty reasonable, isn't it?

Went from 807 ft/lbs to 863 ft/lbs... just by opening up some things.

As it stands, my best fuel economy is around 19 (on the dash) unloaded, cruising 75 mph. That's my BEST! My worst, pulling 10,000 travel trailer, at 80 mph, in Colorado, going up Wolf Creek pass/etc and cruising the interstate around Grand Junction) was about 8 MPG (No, i wasn't doing 80 up wolf creek, maybe 50...pretty steep and tight lemme tell ya).

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpeg
    IMG_5863.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 86

MtnRider

Reaction score
Here's proof of concept... is it possible the Tune caused the power gain? Yes, I'm sure that's part of it. But let's just pretend...for "SCIENCE!" that only a delete happened (at least...that's my Canadian Assumption)... and the tune is stock (that's what it says on the box). The power gain is only what...about 7%? So, that's actually pretty reasonable, isn't it?

As it stands, my best fuel economy is around 19 (on the dash) unloaded, cruising 75 mph. That's my BEST! My worst, pulling 10,000 travel trailer, at 80 mph, in Colorado, going up Wolf Creek pass/etc and cruising the interstate around Grand Junction) was about 8 MPG (No, i wasn't doing 80 up wolf creek, maybe 50...pretty steep and tight lemme tell ya).

Question, was the stock tune 100% stock, just disabled things that were no longer present? Most "stock" tunes I have run across did change the torque management some even though it wasn't going for a HP increase.

And while that data is important it doesn't really paint a picture of efficiency per say. You are looking at a "peak" number and that doesn't translate directly to over all efficiency. That math is beyond me but I know it's not a 1:1.
Also make sure you hand calculate any mpg numbers, tuning of any kind throws off the tables used for calculating the lie-o-meter. It's likely to be even more generous now.

Last edited:

Wilder

Reaction score

Did you see a difference between before and after the Delete/stock tune? Do hand calculated (aka gallons pumped/miles traveled) match up to what you see on the display?

Users who are viewing this thread