Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar vs Yukon LSD?

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts, opinions, advice ... made the mistake of buying my truck with the open wheel and plan on swapping out the diff to an LSD ... so far I am between the Yukon diff and the Mopar from the dealership (for the warranty). Yes my bad for not getting it on the build, but a quick swap and we are all good. Thank you for the advice

Lary0071

Reaction score
My opinion is that the factory LSD is junk compared my 99 F-350 7.3L one. I have a gravel drive on a slope and with the Ford the LSD always worked both tires (for 197K miles that I had it) on gravel and never really spun if you were soft on it. The ram always spins one and does it no matter how soft I am. Junk.

If it were me I would go with a aftermarket, my favorite being the Eaton TruTrack, but you have to find unicorn non synthetic oil with NO LSD additives.... and this is nearly impossible to find at most parts stores. I believe Wallmart has a blue bottle of conventional with no additives, but I buy Eneos gear lube and have it shipped in. A TruTrack (TT) with proper lube works nearly like a locker. I run them on a Jeep and I am in love with these, no clutch to wear out, no springs, sort of similar in design to a torsen differential that the military uses.

You are not missing anything by having an open. My stupid OEM LSD is not much (if any?) better than what you have now. I suspect I will be paying to swap to a TT.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
My opinion is that the factory LSD is junk compared my 99 F-350 7.3L one. I have a gravel drive on a slope and with the Ford the LSD always worked both tires (for 197K miles that I had it) on gravel and never really spun if you were soft on it. The ram always spins one and does it no matter how soft I am. Junk.

If it were me I would go with a aftermarket, my favorite being the Eaton TruTrack, but you have to find unicorn non synthetic oil with NO LSD additives.... and this is nearly impossible to find at most parts stores. I believe Wallmart has a blue bottle of conventional with no additives, but I buy Eneos gear lube and have it shipped in. A TruTrack (TT) with proper lube works nearly like a locker. I run them on a Jeep and I am in love with these, no clutch to wear out, no springs, sort of similar in design to a torsen differential that the military uses.

You are not missing anything by having an open. My stupid OEM LSD is not much (if any?) better than what you have now. I suspect I will be paying to swap to a TT.
Thank you for the reply ! I will definitely look into TruTrack !

and open dif is pretty awful ... I drive lots of northern Canada roads / trails and it’s pretty sad needing to use a come along in spots that have no clearance issues

diezeldave

Reaction score
To counter the other anecdote, I have the factory LSD and find that it works great. It doesn't lock up with a bang like my old Chevy G80 did but I have never had a single wheel spin up without the other also doing so and that's all I can ask a LSD for, in my opinion.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
To counter the other anecdote, I have the factory LSD and find that it works great. It doesn't lock up with a bang like my old Chevy G80 did but I have never had a single wheel spin up without the other also doing so and that's all I can ask a LSD for, in my opinion.

the 2010 1500 that I had was equipped with the factory LSD and I had zero issues with it either, actually loved it for my needs

jsalbre

Reaction score
Mark me down as another who’s happy with the factory LSD. I wish I had selectable lockers like I had in my JK, but I’ve played in some pretty loose stuff with the 2500 and the LSD has done just fine.

g00fy

Reaction score
I've actually had both experiences with the factory LSD. My 2015 Ecodiesel with Mopar Anti-Spin differential sucked, it never seemed to lock up when i needed it in snow or ice, I remember one day i had the passenger side of the truck in some deeper snow with an ice base, and driver side on a little hard pack with a pavement base, and it just spun the passenger side tire until i really started revving it. I haven't had my 2500 in the snow yet, so i can't compare my 2500 in snow performance yet.

However I do have another example where i can say my 2019 6.7 LSD works very well compared to my 2015. My house is on a hill, the garage and driveway are on a flat spot in the middle of the hill, and half my yard is up the hill, half my yard is down the hill. So to get to my upper yard there's a steep little grass hill that's only about 1.5 car lengths wide and there's no run up to it, you have to make a sharp left as you start to climb up it. My 1500 with anti-spin always needed 4wd, even with my big 35" BFG K02's, the truck would flex a bit and the inside rear wheel would get light and just spin, the outer wheel would push a little bit, but ultimately i'd end up using 4wd if i didn't want to tear up the grass too bad. My new 2019, right up in the hill in 2wd, absolutely zero drama, even with the crappy Firestones, i was super impressed.

So it was basically a night and day difference between my 2015 with Mopar LSD and my New 2019 with Mopar LSD.

Last edited:

Lary0071

Reaction score
The infamous G80 is a mechanical auto locking differential, never to be confused or compared to a limited slip. It's like a trashy, weak, Eaton Detroit Locker.... The G80 had a notable failure rate to say the least.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread