Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mileage report 2022 H.O. 10,000 mile trip towing

captainbob3

Reaction score
Hello all, Having looked for information on towing mpg's before purchasing my 2022 Ram Tradesman 3500 long bed HO, I thought I would report my mileage after a 10,572 mile trip out west. I live in Maryland and back in June we made a trip to Mackinaw City Michigan towing our 2018 Grand Design 230RL fifth wheel camper. We left Michigan, went down thru Wisconsin, then to Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, into Washington and Oregon, turning back east we went hough Idaho to South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa one the way back to Maryland. Loaded the camper weighs 9250 pounds with water tank half full and waste tanks half full (CAT scale). The total truck and trailer weight with full fuel, coolers, two generators in the bed, firewood, tools, passenger and driver and our dog is 19,120 pounds (CAT Scale). We left with approx. 4300 miles on the truck so it was not broke in yet. At 8000 miles I noticed an increase in mileage. I am a conservative driver and rarely go over 65 mph towing. If It's windy I slow down accordingly. The average over the entire trip was 12.6 mpg, as close as I can come up with (deducting the high mileage runs not towing) my towing average was 11.6 mpg. I kept a detailed log and hand calculated everything. The EVIC read .5 to 1 mpg higher normally, I had a few instances where the mileage was a little higher than the EVIC. My best flat road towing was 13.9 mpg and the worst flat road towing with a nasty head wind was 9.6 mpg. Hope this helps someone's decision in buying one. The truck is an absolute beast for towing.

Attachments

• tempImageQ81jQB.png
    tempImageQ81jQB.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC_3777.JPG
    DSC_3777.JPG
    508.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Just curious, before break in what were you seeing? I tow a 14k fifth wheel and get 8-9 mpg. I have 6k on the truck

captainbob3

Reaction score
I was generally 9 to 10 before 8000 miles. Driving habits have a lot to do with it. I rarely use cruise control unless on flat terrain. It is just too aggressive slowing down and speeding up. I also manually shift often for hills. I run closer to 60 mph, letting her run downhill and slow down a bit on uphills. I drive very conservatively trying to maximize mpg's.

dstonic

Reaction score
Just curious, before break in what were you seeing? I tow a 14k fifth wheel and get 8-9 mpg. I have 6k on the truck
I too get 8.8-9 mpg ..2021 3500 Limited Mega 6.7HO 4:10 rear…towing Cedar Creek 38EL….full of fuel 32 gal tank Cat Scale about 24,000lbs

Users who are viewing this thread