Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS question

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I was having fun trying to keep it on while deer hunting in the mountains last month…driving like Brad K on fuel milage strategy

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ok Ok..... I still don't like the low rumble and vibration and no amount of saving gas is going to change that. :)
This is true. If it annoys you for that reason then there’s really nothing to do but shut it off, or crank up the music!

rbuschone

Reaction score
Just moved to a 2023 Tradesman 2500 Crew with the 6.4 Hemi from a 2109 1500 Laramie Quad 5.7 Hemi (don't ask) and the difference is amazing. In the 1500 the transition from MDS on to off to on is 100% unnoticeable! In the 2500 it is amazingly noticeable and annoying. The only thing I can figure is that they added damping to the frame of the 1500 to cancel these vibrations that haven't been engineered into the heavy duties. I was worried something was amiss but since everyone feels it I will adjust. Hoping it becomes less intrusive as the drivetrain breaks in.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Just moved to a 2023 Tradesman 2500 Crew with the 6.4 Hemi from a 2109 1500 Laramie Quad 5.7 Hemi (don't ask) and the difference is amazing. In the 1500 the transition from MDS on to off to on is 100% unnoticeable! In the 2500 it is amazingly noticeable and annoying. The only thing I can figure is that they added damping to the frame of the 1500 to cancel these vibrations that haven't been engineered into the heavy duties. I was worried something was amiss but since everyone feels it I will adjust. Hoping it becomes less intrusive as the drivetrain breaks in.
From what I understand, the 2500s have frame dampening, too. I could be wrong, but it seems I've read that somewhere on these forums.

[Edit] just found this on the 'ole Internet: https://www.autoweek.com/news/auto-shows/a1714556/2019-ram-2500-heavy-duty-1000-lb-ft-torque-here/

"The V8-powered Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups will also get frame-mounted vibration dampers, like the Ram 1500, to keep unwanted engine vibrations from bleeding into the cabin."
I'm assuming it's the same for later years.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
From what I understand, the 2500s have frame dampening, too. I could be wrong, but it seems I've read that somewhere on these forums.

[Edit] just found this on the 'ole Internet: https://www.autoweek.com/news/auto-shows/a1714556/2019-ram-2500-heavy-duty-1000-lb-ft-torque-here/

"The V8-powered Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups will also get frame-mounted vibration dampers, like the Ram 1500, to keep unwanted engine vibrations from bleeding into the cabin."
I'm assuming it's the same for later years.
Everything but 2022, where they were removed due to parts shortages.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I thought I would get used to the start/stop in my wife's Durango. I can't explain why, it just feels weird. I don't like it, but I like turning it off every time I'm in the car less so I usually just try to ignore it. As for the lag in that car - its a non issue as I still pause because it's weird lol, so if it does lag its offset by my pause. My MDS 3500 has finally come in - picking it up in a day or so. I have a long highway commute to work so I am going to give it a fair shot...we shall see.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I thought I would get used to the start/stop in my wife's Durango. I can't explain why, it just feels weird. I don't like it, but I like turning it off every time I'm in the car less so I usually just try to ignore it. As for the lag in that car - its a non issue as I still pause because it's weird lol, so if it does lag its offset by my pause. My MDS 3500 has finally come in - picking it up in a day or so. I have a long highway commute to work so I am going to give it a fair shot...we shall see.
Sooo was thinking of this thread. I'm cleaning out my 1500 to trade in for a 3500 and I found the window sticker. Lo and behold the 5.7 in my 1500 has MDS. I honestly never even knew. Now that I do, there is definitely nothing on the instrument cluster that lets me know its engaged. I don't feel it kick on or off...so I guess thats a testament to how it works. Lol!

Dave01

Reaction score
Sooo was thinking of this thread. I'm cleaning out my 1500 to trade in for a 3500 and I found the window sticker. Lo and behold the 5.7 in my 1500 has MDS. I honestly never even knew. Now that I do, there is definitely nothing on the instrument cluster that lets me know its engaged. I don't feel it kick on or off...so I guess thats a testament to how it works. Lol!
My 2015 Durango had MDS, no dash light or indicator. I could feel it when it engaged, just a slight added vibration, but if not paying attention I might not notice. In normal drive mode it didn't engage much at all, if I pushed the eco mode button it kicked in much more often, but I never drove in eco mode. The MDS in the 6.4 2500 is significantly more noticeable, there's never a time it engages that you don't know it is on, regardless of dash indicator.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Ah ok - well the 6.4 is in my 3500 so I guess I will definitely notice it...

fwiw, the 5.7 in my 1500 is my first V8 and certainly the first w any of these power saving features...

Nothotdog

Reaction score
Ah ok - well the 6.4 is in my 3500 so I guess I will definitely notice it...

fwiw, the 5.7 in my 1500 is my first V8 and certainly the first w any of these power saving features...
I don't notice it too much at lower speeds. I do notice if I am going up an incline and it hasn't yet shut off.

On my dash (and I'd assume other newer HDs have it), it will light up a green "ECO" symbol when it engages (on the lower right).

The only time I really noticed it being pronounced was on the highway going up a slight grade, where I needed some higher RPMs to maintain speed but I suppose it wasn't enough to make it shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread