Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintenance question

MegaStro

Reaction score
General question, this is the recommended services for my son's Hemi, its at 89,000 miles. These prices shocked me but I also question what the process is on some of it. Seems to be additives in a couple and cannot figure out what the "Engine Tune Up" is for that price, anyone have any thoughts? Waiting until 100,000 to do anything. TIA

Recommended ServicesService DatePrice ("$")
*AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE01/02/2024405.5
*CABIN AIR FILTER REPLACEMENT : Mileage01/02/2024104.45
*COOLANT FLUSH : Mileage01/02/2024253.3
*DIFFERENTIAL FLUSH - FRONT : Mileage01/02/2024463.74
*DIFFERENTIAL FLUSH - REAR : Mileage01/02/2024246.54
*ENGINE AIR FILTER REPLACEMENT : Mileage01/02/202445.95
*INSTALL ETHANOL CORROSION PROTECTION SERVICE AND MOISTURE CONTROL01/02/2024108.34
*INSTALL EXTENDED LIFE MOA OIL CONDITIONER AND STABILIZER01/02/202420.71
*PERFORM BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE : Mileage01/02/2024203.37
*PERFORM FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE/ AIR INDUCTION SERVICE AND INSTALL PREMIUM FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER01/02/2024264.04
*TRANSFER CASE SERVICE : Mileage01/02/2024272.52
ENGINE TUNE UP : Mileage01/02/2024855.95

79 300

Reaction score
You can buy a cabin air filter for $25 or so and change it yourself in a few minutes. The engine air filter is about the same price (or less) and only takes a few minutes as well.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Why does the front diff cost so much more than the rear? Same oils, same amount of work.
Ethanol corrision service? So a 20 dollar bottle of fuel additive.
Performance brake fluid flush? Hu?
Fuel system service? Another 20 dollar bottle of fuel additive.
Engine tune up? All you can do nowadays is oil and filter change. Air and fuel filter. Spark plugs. And they are already charging you for some of that. Only other thing is to hook up a OBD scanner and check for codes. But you woukd know if something was wrong because the check engine light would be on.

You can do all of the service yourself with mostly basic tools.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
The one good price if correct is the transmission fluid/filter change. I was quoted much higher than $405 for it like more than double.

flan

Reaction score
So simple to do the actual things required. Vs the made up stuff they added in. Christ the mark up....

Riddick

Reaction score
You will end up paying a premium to have the dealer do any maintenance on your vehicles. For those who are unable to perform these tasks yourself, find a local mom and pop garage and have them do the work at a fraction of the cost. For those who are able but nervous about doing these tasks I suggest watching Youtube. Marion Blair has some very informative videos for DIY maintenance on Youtube, although he has a 4th gen its basically the same exact process for our trucks.

I have said this before but if there is anyone close to Yorktown VA I am always willing to help others out. There are always people willing to help, you just have to ask the question.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So $100 for fluid and filter. $300 for some guy making minimum wage to take out some 20 bolts to drop the pan, wipe it out, hopefully get the filter back in right, new gasket and over torque the bolts.
Should be a 2 hour job max in a shop with all the equipment.
He'll, it's probably a 2 hour job for me, lying on my back under the truck.

JimKIII

Reaction score
As soon as I reach the end of my factory maintenance I'll be doing all of the above except the brake fluid replacement if that's ever needed. Right now, the dealer is replacing my failed ZF-8HP transmission under warranty (only 28K miles!) so I'm getting a free AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE ahead of normal schedule. Luck, luck me!

MegaStro

Reaction score
Why does the front diff cost so much more than the rear? Same oils, same amount of work.
Ethanol corrision service? So a 20 dollar bottle of fuel additive.
Performance brake fluid flush? Hu?
Fuel system service? Another 20 dollar bottle of fuel additive.
Engine tune up? All you can do nowadays is oil and filter change. Air and fuel filter. Spark plugs. And they are already charging you for some of that. Only other thing is to hook up a OBD scanner and check for codes. But you woukd know if something was wrong because the check engine light would be on.

You can do all of the service yourself with mostly basic tools.
Engine tune up was one of my big questions, I know a guy who has access to a scanner to check codes. We have a pretty good local Firestone since nothing is under warranty any longer I can shop it around

JimKIII

Reaction score
engine tune up = spark plugs.

If it were me I wouldn’t let anybody touch my truck.
I haven't even looked on my truck yet, but is it fairly easy to replace spark plugs? On my old 2004 Dakota 4.7L each plug had its own coil/condenser rigamarole mounted on top, which always made me nervous changing them. Don't know about the 6.4Ls.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I haven't even looked on my truck yet, but is it fairly easy to replace spark plugs? On my old 2004 Dakota 4.7L each plug had its own coil/condenser rigamarole mounted on top, which always made me nervous changing them. Don't know about the 6.4Ls.
Well my truck only has 30k on it so I haven’t messed with plugs But I know it has 16 of them

Users who are viewing this thread