Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnetic oil drain plug??

decelt

Reaction score
Does the stock engine have a magnetic drain plug?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Does anyone here use a magnetic drain plug such as PPE?

I use one, BUT I use 18mm aluminum crush washers instead of the copper ones that PPE supplies. Getting their copper crush washers to not leak required more torque than I was willing to impart on a stamped oil pan. Aluminum crush washers work great or there is also the magnetic plug that geno's carries that comes with a reusable gasket. I actually had one of those gaskets, but I cannot find for the life of me find it in. my toolbox.

The magnet never has much, but it does have a little junk on it at oil changes. No where near what you see in a cut open full flow oil filter that's had magnets on it, but it 's "doing something".

Trash Panda

Reaction score
Anything that a magnetic drain plug is going to catch, is going to be comfortably caught by the oil filter. If you want a PPE plug for the bling factor, that’s just great, but it’s a non issue.

Oil purity is not an issue these engines struggle with.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Anything that a magnetic drain plug is going to catch, is going to be comfortably caught by the oil filter. If you want a PPE plug for the bling factor, that’s just great, but it’s a non issue.

Oil purity is not an issue these engines struggle with.
Pretty much - IMO the best feature is being able to stick it to somewhere near by so you don't loose the damn thing while you go take a 30 minute break to let it drain down.

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
Pretty much - IMO the best feature is being able to stick it to somewhere near by so you do loose the damn thing while you go take a 30 minute break to let it drain down.
Good idea about the aluminum crush washer. Where did you get those?

Users who are viewing this thread