Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to upgrade

Otterbob

Reaction score
I’m wondering if you could be so kind and help me with what I would need to upgrade my radio to 12 inch from 8.4. I have a Laramie 2500 8.4 non nav radio now. It has Sirius xm that I want to retain. Also the truck came with connected services deleted due to chip shortage if that makes any difference. If you could find the time to help me it would be appreciated.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I did this a while back and there are threads on this subject sprinkled around the forum so far as the settings you'll need the change with AlfaOBD. If the parts are still hard to come by you might be checking ebay regularly until you can get your hands on all of them. @Jimmy07 can build you the harnesses you'll need (where I got mine) and I used the following parts in my ram :

12"/8.4" w/NAV Module - 68507350AF
12" Screen - 68526609AC
The Bezel for my black Laramie (will vary based on your truck interior) - 6EZ155X9AE

To mount the module to the inside of the dash behind the screen you'll also want to get a license plate mounting kit with the square plastic or metal inserts if your truck doesn't have the nut inserts present from the factory (mine did not). You will also need some machine screws to mount the screen to the bezel, I honestly can't remember the size as I keep a ton of machine screws on hand in various sizes.

Otterbob

Reaction score
I did this a while back and there are threads on this subject sprinkled around the forum so far as the settings you'll need the change with AlfaOBD. If the parts are still hard to come by you might be checking ebay regularly until you can get your hands on all of them. @Jimmy07 can build you the harnesses you'll need (where I got mine) and I used the following parts in my ram :

12"/8.4" w/NAV Module - 68507350AF
12" Screen - 68526609AC
The Bezel for my black Laramie (will vary based on your truck interior) - 6EZ155X9AE

To mount the module to the inside of the dash behind the screen you'll also want to get a license plate mounting kit with the square plastic or metal inserts if your truck doesn't have the nut inserts present from the factory (mine did not). You will also need some machine screws to mount the screen to the bezel, I honestly can't remember the size as I keep a ton of machine screws on hand in various sizes.
What year is your truck? Uconect 5? I thought the modules on U5 works for either 8.4 or 12? Is that wrong and I still have to buy the one you mentioned ? Thank you

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
What year is your truck? Uconect 5? I thought the modules on U5 works for either 8.4 or 12? Is that wrong and I still have to buy the one you mentioned ? Thank you

I have a '22 per my sig line. The only modules that are the same are the 12.1 and 8.4 w/NAV - also know as R1-High. The 8.4 w/o NAV does not use a module and is all integrated into the screen - also known as R1-Low. My truck was a Rona build so I got snubbed on BSM, the 12.1, and I was connected services deleted.

Otterbob

Reaction score
I have a '22 per my sig line. The only modules that are the same are the 12.1 and 8.4 w/NAV - also know as R1-High. The 8.4 w/o NAV does not use a module and is all integrated into the screen - also known as R1-Low. My truck was a Rona build so I got snubbed on BSM, the 12.1, and I was connected services deleted.
Well it looks like jegs has all 3 of those parts in stock. So what am I lacking? A couple custom harness ? I’ve private messaged jimmy07 a week or so ago and never heard back. Is there a better way to contact him? I really appreciate your info. There’s a whole sea of misinformation out there concerning this upgrade….

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
You also need everything to use AlfaOBD which would be a bypass and then either windows or android AlfaOBD. This thread can help you find hardware - https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/alfaobd.640/
This thread can help you with using Alfa - https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...s-code-mods-and-common-alfaobd-settings.3468/

I personally use it on windows with one of my old USB scan-tools, but there are also plenty of good bluetooth adapters for android or windows. The change I had to make was as follows:
Cabin Net-DCSD Display - Enabled
Cabin Net-ICS Integrated Center Stack - Not Enabled

I would also avoid somewhere like jegs and use Tasca or another Mopar Parts distributor. Most of them will say "in stock" and then you'll get an order cancelled or delayed for weeks on end - at-least that's what happened to me. Again you'll also want to ensure you have the right bezel for your truck. That bezel PN is for the black Laramie interior with the carbon fiber looking accents, if you have a different Laramie interior then you'll need a different bezel to match. If you don't want to do all the manual work you can use someone like infotainment to get everything, however, you'll pay a pretty penny for it. I would also use Jimmy for the harness if you can get a hold of him, but there are instructions out there to do it yourself if that's your thing. I don't have any of them handy, but the infromation is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread