Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for actual stock or with 35 inch tire 68rfe failures.

leeroy300

Reaction score
The monday is approaching to pick up my new truck and now im skeptical about getting the SO with the 68rfe. For 15k cad more i can get a laramine instead of a bighorn with the HO, aisin, leather and LEDS.

I dont care about the leather, but my gripe is how a 85k CAD msrp truck doesnt come with LEDS.
But reading the horror stories about the 68RFE i am thinking maybe it isnt that bad because no one brags about how good a transmission is unless asked.

I only look to put 35x12.5r20's on the truck no level no tune no nothing. possibly airbags if needed.

My use

payload only 99.9 percent of the time unless i eventually buy a trailer to camp but being single with no kids or dog i dont see me going even remotely close or pass the 17k rating my truck has VIA ram.

Payload will always be roughly 2k pounds and 3.3 maybe once every few months..

What are your thoughts am i sketching out and the 68RFE should be fine or would you take the plunge for the HO. 12k is alot but i mean if ill owe the bank a metric **** ton whats the different of a few hundred a month.

my thoughts are for the amount of 2500's running around it cant be THAT bad as long as i dont do 4wd launches and drive like a douche canoe.
I ran 35's for 5years and 85000 km's never an issue with a 68rfe just change oil and I would put level kit in

bfs673

Reaction score
Just another nod to the 68RFE. I had a '14 3500 srw that pulled a ~ 16k trailer for ~ 15k miles over its 100k mile lifetime; primarily in the Northwest with plenty of mountains. No issues with the transmission other than a wonky shift here and there and the flare during the 3-4 shift.

I went with another 68RFE for my '21 order.

renagade69

Reaction score
I had a 2007.5 for 10 years with the 68rfe and it was reliable. There was a drain-back when you started it after sitting a week it would take a bit to go in reverse but that was fixed in the next generation. My new 21 has the 68RFE and I own 3 cabs and chassis with asins. The Aisin get more oil changes at 30k while the 68rfe is 60k and cost more to service than the 68rfe. They are a lot heavier and I think this is the only reason Ram does not put them on 2500. Payload numbers go down.
The fact is the Aisin is better because the clutch packs are heavier. The 68rfe is a good transmission and has proven reliable. If you modify your rig from stock plan on possible tranny problems with either transmission.
I have a few friends that lift their Ford with the new 10 speed and now have problems that do not exist in the stock form. Both talk bad about the tranny and I feel it's unjust because it wasn't designed for that purpose. 90 percent of all 68rfe problems on Facebook start with Tuned, Lifted, or Deleted or comes out in the end.

cvpiftw

Reaction score
Drive like a toolbag, you blow a transmission. I wonder how many of those transmissions had cooked fluid as well from never getting changed?

Huntington14

Reaction score
My transmission Temp never gets above 168, and I drive it like I stole it.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I put 130k on a 68rfe. 60k of that deleted and running a tow tune. Towing a fifth wheel through the rockies and back and forth to California.
Serviced the tranny twice. All of this with 33 or 35" tires. No issues with it at all.

Battleborn

Reaction score
I have fox shocks, icon leveling springs, after market 5k air bags with 35x12.5 20r F range toyos MTs which are heavy and tow a 2021 Montana High country 5th wheel with my 19 2500 Mega Cab Laramie SO. Besides replacing the belt tensioner because of squeaking the truck performs well. Can still pull long grades at 65-70 with a 14k 5th wheel. Speed limit out here in NV is 80mph on I80 even towing and have no problems besides sucking down fuel.20210508_142404.jpg20210603_135340.jpg
20210517_125426.jpg

Sturmgewehr792

Reaction score
Just another nod to the 68RFE. I had a '14 3500 srw that pulled a ~ 16k trailer for ~ 15k miles over its 100k mile lifetime; primarily in the Northwest with plenty of mountains. No issues with the transmission other than a wonky shift here and there and the flare during the 3-4 shift.

I went with another 68RFE for my '21 order.
I have a 2020 2500 with 68rfe, also getting that 3-4 flare, why does this happen?

Toyotaguy

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 with 68rfe, also getting that 3-4 flare, why does this happen?

It’s not a flare in terms of slipping like worn out transmission, your truck unlocks the torque converter for the shift to save the drivetrain from shock loading. You should see a couple hundred rpm bump right before the shift, more if your under power, then it should shift then relock and you should see a couple hundred rpm drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sturmgewehr792

Reaction score
It’s not a flare in terms of slipping like worn out transmission, your truck unlocks the torque converter for the shift to save the drivetrain from shock loading. You should see a couple hundred rpm bump right before the shift, more if your under power, then it should shift then relock and you should see a couple hundred rpm drop.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the heads up, will easy my mind!

Dwilly

Reaction score
48k km on my 2019 with the 68. 37s on her for almost 25k km now. Zero issues. I don't drive it like racecar. I drive it like an HD 8200lb vehicle. It's up to you in the end whether it breaks or not.

Jozzz

Reaction score
Failed at 20k miles. ‘20 mega cab srw. Reverse wasn’t engaging intermittently for weeks. Finally threw a code. Reverse gear ratio failure. Tow a 7000# trailer around town M-F.

Tear down showed failed valve body, clutches and seals, according to the dealer. Took the shop a week to even look at it. Now I’m on week two and they said be patient while they wait on parts. Cool no big deal, I only use this truck to pull my work trailer daily . They were kind enough to get me a rental that you can’t tow with. Super helpful

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I haven't seen that member post anything about running larger tires.

Jozzz

Reaction score
Failed at 20k miles. ‘20 mega cab srw. Reverse wasn’t engaging intermittently for weeks. Finally threw a code. Reverse gear ratio failure. Tow a 7000# trailer around town M-F.

Tear down showed failed valve body, clutches and seals, according to the dealer. Took the shop a week to even look at it. Now I’m on week two and they said be patient while they wait on parts. Cool no big deal, I only use this truck to pull my work trailer daily . They were kind enough to get me a rental that you can’t tow with. Super helpful

All stock btw

Users who are viewing this thread