Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knocking New Ram

jphump

Reaction score
I hope I’m still happy next week about my new 24 2500. I started it the other morning, approximately 40 degrees out, about 4 or 5 minutes later it was making a knocking sound. It almost sounded like a bolt or something bouncing around in the engine. I videoed it, then called my dealer, also sent them the video. They wrote it off as a cold start, I honestly hope that is not the nonsense they are going to try to feed me. I was told to go ahead and drive the truck in. Along with that problem, I have a very noticeable Vibration/ shake between 73-80 mph. After it being at the dealer a day, I got a call saying they looked over the engine and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary, but they are ordering a new drive shaft. I hope it gets better, been a rough 200 miles! I haven’t been able to figure out how to post a video with the noise, if I do, I’ll post it

jphump

Reaction score
I hope so, but as of right now, it sounds like me or them has any clue of what it is.

Sixtime43

Reaction score
yeah, that sounds like it's on the outside of the motor. I think what flan said makes sense.

Dave01

Reaction score
Agree. For a dealer to not find the solution to that is not acceptable. Does it only do it on the occasional start, or can you re-create it?

jphump

Reaction score
It only done it once, and I took it right to the dealer.

5Willy2

Reaction score
Kudos for you taking a vid of the racket, this will help down the line if further issues continues. I did the same thing multiple times with issues with my 67rfe and showed the service guy (constant issue after numerous repairs) and had a service guy ride in my truck to confirm the problem is still there. Finally got the issue fixed with the help from RAM care. Good luck

jphump

Reaction score
The service dept finally called me today. They have virtually been ignoring the engine noise and trying to fix the vibration that starts around 70 plus mph. After tire balancing and a new drive line, they are starting to think there is a possibility of the engine noise and vibration be in common. The last thing I want is to have a new engine torn down. I guess I will see what direction this goes soon.

jphump

Reaction score
The truck had a vibration at 70 plus mph, they are unable to find the source of it, so they are starting to think there is a possibility of the two being linked……that is what I was told

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
interesting.

well, keep us updated. that doesn't sound like an internal noise, to me. fan clutch or compressor maybe..

jphump

Reaction score
I will do, I’m am super curious of what uis up. I saved my money a long time to be able to just go buy this, absolutely not what was expecting

oledirteh

Reaction score
that sound isnt violent enough to sound motor. it sounds like clutch fan or the fan itself hitting the radiator. there's nothing in the front of that motor other then the clutch fan moving that slow to go tap tap tap like something is spinning at low rpms. id start by inspecting the shroud, fan, fan bolts, bottom of the shroud to see if a bolt or a wrench is flopping around ect.

at least thats where id start.

Users who are viewing this thread