Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock in motor . Need contact info other than Chrysler care

Reaction score
Hi guys. Hope someone can help.
(Sorry. Its long)

I recently bought a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman w/ a 6.4. At 3000 miles it developed a fait knock on in the engine on the drivers side when first fired up. Contacted the dealership and they said if it got worse bring it in. If not they would check it out on the first oil change.(5000 miles). Ended up waiting until the oil change. Dealership said they didn't find anything. Drove the truck until around 10,000 miles and the knock got worse and knocked most of the time now. Especially at idle or low rpm. Took the truck in and had them look again. They ended up changing lifters and a few other parts. Went to pick it up after a week and it still had the issue. Refused to accept the vehicle. They looked at it again and decided to do the same to the other side. New lifters ect.. Still didn't fix it so they ended up putting a new long block in it. That took about 4 to 5 weeks to do. (Lifters and engine). I get the truck back for less than a week and it does on me with a transmission warning light. Dealership has it towed. After a week they tell me moisture may have gotten into a connection or they may have not got one all the way back together during the engine installation. Get the truck back and notice during start up it has a rough idle until it warms up. Drove it for a week and it throws a check engine light. Back to the dealership. They had it a week and told me they thought bad fuel. Funny thing is it ran fine when I got it back but still had 1/2 a tank of the same fuel in it. Also had a strong coolant smell and popping in the left front area. (Ordered new spring, spring cup and shock) been driving it two weeks and now it has the rough idle again. Grrrr. I've contacted Chrysler customer care and the offered $3k and 100,000 powertrain warranty. I told them I wanted them to take the truck back which they refused. Does anyone know what I can do or of a phone # or contact that can help. I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have these issues.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ostracize

Reaction score
Have independent shop(or another ram dealer) validate existing issue, in writing.
Look up your states lemon law
Give the original dealer the required number of attempts to correct the problem.
If they succeed, good.
If they fail, provide in writing to dealer and fca your intent to proceed with lemon legal process.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Also, sounds like a pretty bad dealer.
Lots of questionable nuggets in there.
If a different dealer is an option, might consider it.

Reaction score
Lemon law states it has to be taken in 4 times for the issue so it doesn't apply sadly. They fixed the knock by putting a new engine in it.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Lemon law states it has to be taken in 4 times for the issue so it doesn't apply sadly. They fixed the knock by putting a new engine in it.
Yes... But it seemed like you're saying their fix has caused collateral issue(s)... So unfortunately your warranty is the help you seek and the lemon law is your bail out if all else fails.
Unrealistic expectations aren't going to help you during this frustrating time, ie fca buying it back without due diligence or some backdoor contact.
Outside of the fca position(who don't care about you) your dealer actually might (a little) as some have a long relationship with "their dealer". That might be an option but only you would know that.
This is definitely a "I hope I am wrong" but nevertheless imho seems to be the situation.
Good luck to you.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi guys. Hope someone can help.
(Sorry. Its long)

I recently bought a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman w/ a 6.4. At 3000 miles it developed a fait knock on in the engine on the drivers side when first fired up. Contacted the dealership and they said if it got worse bring it in. If not they would check it out on the first oil change.(5000 miles). Ended up waiting until the oil change. Dealership said they didn't find anything. Drove the truck until around 10,000 miles and the knock got worse and knocked most of the time now. Especially at idle or low rpm. Took the truck in and had them look again. They ended up changing lifters and a few other parts. Went to pick it up after a week and it still had the issue. Refused to accept the vehicle. They looked at it again and decided to do the same to the other side. New lifters ect.. Still didn't fix it so they ended up putting a new long block in it. That took about 4 to 5 weeks to do. (Lifters and engine). I get the truck back for less than a week and it does on me with a transmission warning light. Dealership has it towed. After a week they tell me moisture may have gotten into a connection or they may have not got one all the way back together during the engine installation. Get the truck back and notice during start up it has a rough idle until it warms up. Drove it for a week and it throws a check engine light. Back to the dealership. They had it a week and told me they thought bad fuel. Funny thing is it ran fine when I got it back but still had 1/2 a tank of the same fuel in it. Also had a strong coolant smell and popping in the left front area. (Ordered new spring, spring cup and shock) been driving it two weeks and now it has the rough idle again. Grrrr. I've contacted Chrysler customer care and the offered $3k and 100,000 powertrain warranty. I told them I wanted them to take the truck back which they refused. Does anyone know what I can do or of a phone # or contact that can help. I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have these issues.

Thanks in advance
Hi @Afterhoursbowfishing, we are deeply sorry to hear about this concern with your new truck. We would like you to know that our team is available to you for support during these situations. Please follow up with us in a private message to provide your VIN or current case number for further assistance, thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread