Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is wiring a relay for a cigarette lighter to power a dashcam difficult?

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Just got a dashcam - (Viofo vs1 mini). Logical spot for it is on my bulletpoint rubigrid (probably with some alien tape) which is an inch or so away from the cigarette lighter in my 3500. I need to wire in a relay so it shuts off w the car. Is that a difficult thing to do? I watched a few videos...it doesnt look too hard. But I've ruined too many things by thinking I could do it and encountering something that derails my efforts. I should add I'm reasonably tech and electric savvy but nor very car savvy...TIA

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuse F90/91

Dodgeman

Reaction score
In the fuse box there is a fuse for that plug that you can switch one spot over and it'll be switched on with the key.

There are a few posts about this on the forum if you search.

example: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/12v-dash-power-outlet.15602/
Now THAT is a useful piece of information. I have been wishing that plug switched off and on with the ignition. That knowledge would only have been available with some head scratching after going through the fuse list on page 434 of the manual, if you got that far. The manual, or the truck, should come with a list of "useful things to know" where this kind of stuff is laid out.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

deanfx

Reaction score
This is the first truck that I've had that the spare fuses actually have no wires going to them. So I guess they are spares for the factory, and not spares for me.

Users who are viewing this thread