Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is RAM Building A New Midsized Pickup Truck?

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Is RAM Building A New Midsized Pickup Truck?​

Will It Come To The U.S. & Canada?​

1618963375642.png

It’s been a decade since the RAM brand axed the midsized Dodge Dakota from its lineup. The Dakota, once a leader in the segment for being the first to offer a V8 engine option as well as the first true four-door offering, became too expensive and ended up becoming too close in price to the bigger Ram 1500 model which ultimately leading to its demise.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hope not 1/4 tons are an out dated idea as they are basically the price of a 1/2 ton not much smaller and the fuel millage is about the same as a 1/2 ton so its kind of a waste in my mind

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good Lord that thing is fugly. Let's hope not.

silver billet

Reaction score
I hope not 1/4 tons are an out dated idea as they are basically the price of a 1/2 ton not much smaller and the fuel millage is about the same as a 1/2 ton so its kind of a waste in my mind

Yeah but half tons are (can be) more expensive than 3/4 tons so lets throw out 1/2 tons too. So now we're at the point where guys who just want a little run-around with a bed, have to buy a 1 ton dually.

Hmm.

WXman

Reaction score

A lot of these "1/4 ton" trucks have higher payload ratings and equal towing ratings to the "1/2 ton" trucks, so I think the nomenclature is really confusing.

Also, these midsize trucks easily get close to 20 MPG with gas engines, whereas a Hemi in a Ram 1500 is around 15 MPG. Big difference as the miles rack up.

Lastly, there are a lot of folks who just want to park in their garage at home, or fit into tight spaces off road.

I think that's why the midsize segment has begun to heat back up again with all the OEs bringing new trucks to the table. Hell, even Nissan brought a new midsize truck to market and the last time they did that was when G.W. Bush was in office!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A lot of these "1/4 ton" trucks have higher payload ratings and equal towing ratings to the "1/2 ton" trucks, so I think the nomenclature is really confusing.

Also, these midsize trucks easily get close to 20 MPG with gas engines, whereas a Hemi in a Ram 1500 is around 15 MPG. Big difference as the miles rack up.

Lastly, there are a lot of folks who just want to park in their garage at home, or fit into tight spaces off road.

I think that's why the midsize segment has begun to heat back up again with all the OEs bringing new trucks to the table. Hell, even Nissan brought a new midsize truck to market and the last time they did that was when G.W. Bush was in office!
The 3.6L can get 25mpg consistently at least thats what my father in law gets with his 2017 1500 the 1/4 tons wont likely see a v8 .... not many buying these cross over lookin 1/4 tons are likely to leave the pavement so the off road point is pointless
Nissan has been running the frontier for years and chevy stayed in the market for the most part so they have been available i just never see any on the roads with the price of them being almost identical to a 1/2 ton here

I still believe them to be useless

silver billet

Reaction score
The 3.6L can get 25mpg consistently at least thats what my father in law gets with his 2017 1500 the 1/4 tons wont likely see a v8 .... not many buying these cross over lookin 1/4 tons are likely to leave the pavement so the off road point is pointless
Nissan has been running the frontier for years and chevy stayed in the market for the most part so they have been available i just never see any on the roads with the price of them being almost identical to a 1/2 ton here

I still believe them to be useless

The colorado/canyon with the i4 duramax can easily get 32+ mpg on the highway, the way I drive anyway.

I think the main attraction of the 1/4 tons is size. Some people just don't want a big truck, regardless of capability/mpg/cost compared to a half ton. Size is size. Trucks are a "pain" to park, turn around, store in the garage, navigate in the city etc.

Users who are viewing this thread