Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In bed tool box while towing fifth wheel

wrvond

Reaction score
It's a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody has already been down this path and can save me a bit of work.
I've got my tool box left over from my F350 long bed and I'm wondering if I can use it with this short bed. I've got a slider hitch, but not really sure that's enough. The tool box is about 20 inches from front to back and is about 4 inches above the bed rails.
I've only hooked the camper up to the truck once so far and that was when I was installing the slider hitch. Our driveway is not flat so I can only approximate how much clearance I have above the bed rails until I can hook up and go somewhere flat. At which point I have to be prepared to make whatever adjustments are necessary to set it up correctly.
I know that when backing the long bed, many fivers were very close to the tool box (backing/turning in an open field), so I'm thinking this is going to be a no-go.

Experiences are most appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 195809.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-29 201014.jpg

unclelala

Reaction score
It's a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody has already been down this path and can save me a bit of work.
I've got my tool box left over from my F350 long bed and I'm wondering if I can use it with this short bed. I've got a slider hitch, but not really sure that's enough. The tool box is about 20 inches from front to back and is about 4 inches above the bed rails.
I've only hooked the camper up to the truck once so far and that was when I was installing the slider hitch. Our driveway is not flat so I can only approximate how much clearance I have above the bed rails until I can hook up and go somewhere flat. At which point I have to be prepared to make whatever adjustments are necessary to set it up correctly.
I know that when backing the long bed, many fivers were very close to the tool box (backing/turning in an open field), so I'm thinking this is going to be a no-go.

Experiences are most appreciated.

View attachment 64665
View attachment 64666
what year and model is your cougar...I have a 2021 Cougar 24RDS

wrvond

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread