Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Bed Camera Shot

NDanecker

Reaction score
Looking at hitch options with short bed Megacab. I know hitting the cab is an issue depending on trailer and hitch setup. Question I have is can the in bed camera give you full view of the trailer while backing to see if you are getting close to hitting the cab? I may be traveling alone on a few trips and may not have a spotter. Anyone else do the same?

My old 14 DRW had the 8 ft bed so it was never an issue. Really don't want to go slider because of hitch weight so looking at either Reese Goosebox or Anderson GN hitch.

Thanks.

woody284

Reaction score
I cannot answer your question about the camera. I do run a BW Companion hitch in the bed. A few years ago I bought the BW Companion Manual Slider hitch. In the course of about two years I never slid the hitch to actual use the slider. It was a beast and too hard (nearly impossible) to install and uninstall by myself, ( weighed over 200 lbs) and awkward. I traded it for a standard Companion. I set the hitch up where my king pin is just above or slightly behind the axle. The only time I watch my cab corners is when I bring the camper home. I have to spin a 180 in our subdivision turn about in front of my house. It comes close but makes the turn easy. My truck is a crew cab / short bed and the camper is a 2013 Sabre (40'). If the camera will show you the corners that would be great but I do not feel its as big of a concern as long as you are paying attention. Since your asking the question on here I say it will be a thought for you on the road.

BAT3500

Reaction score
I cant confirm for sure but i think the camera is pointed down too much and also would not have a wide enough view angle to see the trailer corners. Works great for hooking up my fifth wheel but i dont think you could see much else. I mostly still rely on the side mirrors and when available a spotter for backing the trailer up.

HORam

Reaction score
I cant confirm for sure but i think the camera is pointed down too much and also would not have a wide enough view angle to see the trailer corners. Works great for hooking up my fifth wheel but i dont think you could see much else. I mostly still rely on the side mirrors and when available a spotter for backing the trailer up.
This is correct. You cannot see the bed side closest to the cab. You also cannot see the corners at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NDanecker

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. I had the in bed camera on my old setup but never had to worry about blowing out cab windows so didn't use it when pulling into sites. I'm leaning towards the anderson GN ball setup which can give you a slight advantage depending on how you position the adapter. Do not want that boat anchor 280 lb slider.. Still no idea on which toy hauler.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Attachments

• 20170827_143907.jpg
    20170827_143907.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 10

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
My only question would be, how often do you plan on removing the hitch. I leave my slider in most of the year. Simple hoist gets it out in short order, or can be broken down. That is the only consideration with a dually, in my opinion.......for what that’s worth.

woody284

Reaction score
use the search function and search for this thread.....

Gen Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch with Short Bed​

It may be an option for you and he does a good job of explaining it. He also does a 2k review and suggest some options. A bonus is he has a DRW and a large fifth wheel.

BAT3500

Reaction score
i usually just pull the head of my slider hitch off and leave in the trailer when i am not towing. Two pins and your done with my pullrite, I think a few of the other brands are similar. Clears up a fair amount of bedspace. If nothing else this removes significant weight from the lower unit making it easier to handle removing/installing.
Another is to leave the hitch hooked to the trailer and unhook the entire hitch from the truck. Haven't personally tried this yet.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Buy a slider and if you need to remove it just hook up to the trailer lift the hitch and drive away my air ride hitch is about 3-350lbs i leave it hanging on my 5thwheel dump trailer as i tow it more than the camper

Users who are viewing this thread