Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ic coolant low

Preacher911

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 Cummins with 10000 miles ten thousand miles and this light come on while hauling a 45 foot tow hauler. Should I be concerned I am thinking about getting it to the dealer.

flan

Reaction score
Just top off the coolant bottle with some oat friendly coolant. Poke around for leaks too. If you smell maple syrup odds are you have a leak that’s dripping onto something hot and turning to steam.

kennelpj

Reaction score
does it stay on the whole time?

Ive had it a few times when I start my truck, but it would go away before I even got down the block from my house. I noticed it happened more often on colder days, but had it happen one recently while quite warm though.

BurnMac42

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just had this come up on my 2020 with ~17k miles on it. This is my first diesel so this may be a dumb question but is it normal for a truck less than two years old and this amount of mileage to need a coolant top off? It does not appear to be leaking. I don't smell anything funny, no signs inside the engine bay, nothing on the driveway when parked, etc.

Just want to make sure I don't need to take it into the dealership. I did have the HPF pump replaced a few months ago...would they have needed to unhook some coolant lines to gain access to the pump?

flan

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just had this come up on my 2020 with ~17k miles on it. This is my first diesel so this may be a dumb question but is it normal for a truck less than two years old and this amount of mileage to need a coolant top off? It does not appear to be leaking. I don't smell anything funny, no signs inside the engine bay, nothing on the driveway when parked, etc.

Just want to make sure I don't need to take it into the dealership. I did have the HPF pump replaced a few months ago...would they have needed to unhook some coolant lines to gain access to the pump?
Add and monitor. It’s probably not down much at all. Evaporation is usually the cause but keep and eye out for leaks, also if you smell what seems like maple syrup that’s usually coolant burning off as it hits something hot, you wouldn’t notice a drip.

Sapper-8

Reaction score
I have noticed the IC Coolant light comes on when the temperature outside has dropped below freezing. It only remains on for a few minutes while the truck is warming up, 2019 3500 HO with 18,000 miles. I have not noticed any leaks or the smell of antifreeze.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
My 2022 6.7 did this once with about 1500 miles on it. Stopped by the dealers quick lube bay and they topped it off for me. Has not happened again and now have 5000 miles.

Firebird

Reaction score
Mine smells of coolant every day now, 20,000 miles. Expansion tank is full, but I have an appointment for Monday morning

CurtJ

Reaction score
2019 6.7 here with 48k on it; just had it serviced Friday and Sat morning my light came on for about a minute and went off. It was about 45 degrees in the garage as we’ve had some bone chilling temps lately here in Indiana. Could be the cause I guess. Checked the level this morning cold and it is below the minimum line. Hoping filling it up will stop the issue! No leaks runs or errors that I’ve noticed so far…:) Thing runs and pulls like it’s name: The Beast.

CurtJ

Reaction score
2019 6.7 here with 48k on it; just had it serviced Friday and Sat morning my light came on for about a minute and went off. It was about 45 degrees in the garage as we’ve had some bone chilling temps lately here in Indiana. Could be the cause I guess. Checked the level this morning cold and it is below the minimum line. Hoping filling it up will stop the issue! No leaks runs or errors that I’ve noticed so far…:) Thing runs and pulls like it’s name: The Beast.
Update for everyone; I added about 1/2 gallon of OAT compatible Prestone PreMix and the warning light has went away My concern now is how in the heck have I lost 1/2 gallon of coolant‍ in 3 years?
No signs of leaks anywhere but have been hearing horror stories of guys losing their heater cores on these trucks. Hope this is not the case!

Users who are viewing this thread