Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hobbyhorsing issue in my power wagon

beachbunny

Reaction score
the issue is hobbyhorsing or porpoising when hitting bumps in the highway around 60mph, front end just kinda bouncing around.
the truck is 2018 ram powerwagon with 1500# camper on back. carli 2.5 pintop suspension which is supposed to increase payload, hellwig swaybar and hellwig air bags on 37x12.5 nitto ridgegrapplers that are d rated, 8.5" wide aev wheels that have just been balanced again..
fellows that balanced tires said steering was ok.
so is it the 50 psi tires , not enough air in bags, ive tried running them from 30-60# and putting 60# in the tires,
maybe i just have not hit the right combo but i'm tired of the sinking feeling when i hit harmonic bumps in pavement,
tia

RPS1030

Reaction score
Does that Carli kit do anything with the rear trackbar.
The Thuren rear Trackbar was the best change I made on my old PW and took away the wiggle. Longer and flatter reduces the side to side movement of the rear suspension during the travel.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
possibly could try adding some caster via control arms. 2.5" isn't that much, but some trucks react different... if the wheels are a bit too far back, it will make the front end jump around.

just a thought.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Speed up or slow down. It's a resonate frequency due to the ridges in the road and the wheel base of the truck. Wifes 04 chevy does it at about 70 mph on some of the roads around here.

jadmt

Reaction score
buddy is going through this right now on his 2020 PW. HIs is stock suspension with E rated Nitto 35 RG running 55 psi or so. he has a bit of weight but doubt as much as OP his did scale at 9500lbs. Steer axle with he and his wife and dog and ARB 50 in the back seat area was 4600lb and the rear weight was 4900lb, he did order a Thuren rear track bar which we should install on Wed if it gets here on tuesday like it is supposed to. Speed is not the issue on his as we travel together and his is doing it any speed from 35 to 90mph. he is around 11,000 miles. It almost acts like a blown shock but his shocks are not leaking and doing the parked push down test they seem fine.

beachbunny

Reaction score
buddy is going through this right now on his 2020 PW. HIs is stock suspension with E rated Nitto 35 RG running 55 psi or so. he has a bit of weight but doubt as much as OP his did scale at 9500lbs. Steer axle with he and his wife and dog and ARB 50 in the back seat area was 4600lb and the rear weight was 4900lb, he did order a Thuren rear track bar which we should install on Wed if it gets here on tuesday like it is supposed to. Speed is not the issue on his as we travel together and his is doing it any speed from 35 to 90mph. he is around 11,000 miles. It almost acts like a blown shock but his shocks are not leaking and doing the parked push down test they seem fine.
thuren said cause i have a carli track bar drop in the rear it would not matter, getting the steering checked tomorrow when i get to the beach, if it continues on ,im just gonna sell it .i cant see driving to montana then on to ak worrying about that everytime i hit a bump.

please let me know ho the truck responds to the thuren

jadmt

Reaction score
thuren said cause i have a carli track bar drop in the rear it would not matter, getting the steering checked tomorrow when i get to the beach, if it continues on ,im just gonna sell it .i cant see driving to montana then on to ak worrying about that everytime i hit a bump.

please let me know ho the truck responds to the thuren
it is my understanding that a rear track bar drop bracket is not nearly as effect as raising the track bar from the axle bracket. I know Carli has an excellent reputation so not sure why they did not go with an axle side bracket vs drop down bracket.

Badunit

Reaction score

My 2015 2500 with the Cummins weighs 8000# empty. The Cummins adds about 1000# to the base weight so the PW would be closer to 7000#. By my calculations, 9500 - 7000 = 2500 lb of payload on that PW. Isn't the payload capacity around 1400 lb, meaning it is overloaded by 1000 lb? That would explain bad handling. Then add in tires with taller sidewalls and less psi to make it even more wobbly.

jadmt

Reaction score
My 2015 2500 with the Cummins weighs 8000# empty. The Cummins adds about 1000# to the base weight so the PW would be closer to 7000#. By my calculations, 9500 - 7000 = 2500 lb of payload on that PW. Isn't the payload capacity around 1400 lb, meaning it is overloaded by 1000 lb? That would explain bad handling. Then add in tires with taller sidewalls and less psi to make it even more wobbly.
yes I had stated that in another thread I started on it.

jadmt

Reaction score
so just installed a Thuren track bar on my buddy's rig and he said it made a huge difference, he said back and is not bouncing all over the place and feels how it should. Installed airbags at the same time but he has not put air in them yet as wanted to see if the track bar alone helped. he said he should have just bought the track bar and went with that without the air bags. We used the daystar cradles simple install of the bags and cradles. the thuren brackets were a pain but once we figured out to ignore the install instructions and drill the oem bolt hole out with the bracket slightly loose instead of tightened all the way it made it easier. tough to get the opposite side hole drilled as you are just guessing more or less.

Attachments

• 15754471-250C-4E53-8A8D-F54EA6AF1B9F.jpeg
    15754471-250C-4E53-8A8D-F54EA6AF1B9F.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 21

beachbunny

Reaction score
it was all about caster men. shop aligned it all and it drives so much better,i will run out these d- tires and get stiffer tires. the carli pintop is supposed to increase payload.
i wish i had gotten the daystar with cradles, got heliwig who has since stopped making them.
but it seems to be about caster, seemed to be to far forward,best 100$ ive spent in a while

gimmie11s

Reaction score
it was all about caster men. shop aligned it all and it drives so much better,i will run out these d- tires and get stiffer tires. the carli pintop is supposed to increase payload.
i wish i had gotten the daystar with cradles, got heliwig who has since stopped making them.
but it seems to be about caster, seemed to be to far forward,best 100$ ive spent in a while

Good info, thank you for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread