Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch set up

2500ltd

Reaction score
Hey all. Got my new Ram 2500 Ltd, diesel 4x4. It'll be for towing a TT mainly. My current TT has a 500# tongue weight loaded (upgrading to over double that with a new TT later this summer). My Husky WD suggests the ball should be set at 1" above the top of the coupler. My question. Should I set it even higher to account for sag induced by bed cargo? Or on a 2500 I shouldn't worry about it? Oh and, I don't have air suspension. Any tips appreciated.

RossT

Reaction score
I would set it per the instructions and then adjust as needed to level both the truck and TT. Ideally, you'd be close to your loaded weight for both when adjusting.

towingnp

Reaction score
I would set it per the instructions and then adjust as needed to level both the truck and TT. Ideally, you'd be close to your loaded weight for both when adjusting.
Thanks. I set the hitch 1” higher than the coupler as per the instructions. I then loaded the bed as we will when towing. The hitch then went down by about an inch. I raised the hitch a notch. It now is at 1.5” higher than the top of the coupler. My TT is stored remotely. I’ll go and test hitching up tomorrow. See photo of my hitch. I do find the shank low. It’s at about 10 inches from the ground. Still higher then when I towed with my SUV though.View attachment 15547

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
It should be set such as it allows the trailer frame to sit level or ideally slightly pitched down from level. Admittedly this is pretty low for my TT. Coming out of the woods last time I sent one of the trailer stabilizers to Valhalla. Load the trailer full including water and put a level on the frame. I use a magnetic one and stick it a few feet back from the hitch on the frame just under the cargo hold.

Users who are viewing this thread