Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch Pin

GBB

Reaction score
Been reading pros and cons about locking hitch pin versus grade 8 bolt With nyloc or double nutted. Some say a locking pin can be snapped off with a short piece of pipe (have seen videos showing this) while a bolt cannot. Thieves don’t usually carry around a 15/16 socket and end wrench Or spend the time to unscrew it. On the other hand some are saying the grade 8 bolt doesn’t have the shear strength a locking pin has. They are based on tensile strength. I have to agree on tensile strength of locking pin as I got rear ended last year and hitch took the brunt of it and pin was fine. I was going to switch to a grade 8 bolt, but after reading couple articles on pros and cons I don’t know. What are your thoughts?

Billcf7

Reaction score
A little tid bit about locking pins or bolts, there have been a lot of instances with all the rv ers on the roads this past year with fires on trailers and towed vehicles An old style hitch pin and cotter pin is recommended when traveling for quick removal to detach tow vehicle in a hurry to not have both vehicles lost to fire while traveling

Users who are viewing this thread