Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch Pin Sizes

jms63

Reaction score
I just got a 2021 3500 this week after selling my 2020 1500 due to needing more payload to tow my trailer. The 5/8 hitch pin I used with my 1500 won't fit in my 3500 hitch - its too big! Does this make any sense? I bought a 1/2 inch pin and it is a little narrow for the opening but works but the hitch can be moved around slightly so it seems off. The 5/8 pin fits in the 2.5 inch hitch adapter that came with the truck just fine, but not the main 2.5 inch receiver that is part of the hitch bolted to the truck.

Jarred

Reaction score
I just got a 2021 3500 this week after selling my 2020 1500 due to needing more payload to tow my trailer. The 5/8 hitch pin I used with my 1500 won't fit in my 3500 hitch - its too big! Does this make any sense? I bought a 1/2 inch pin and it is a little narrow for the opening but works but the hitch can be moved around slightly so it seems off. The 5/8 pin fits in the 2.5 inch hitch adapter that came with the truck just fine, but not the main 2.5 inch receiver that is part of the hitch bolted to the truck.
5/8 is right. I think some others on the forum had to drill out the hole a little bit. Check yours to see if it doesn't look right.

Hitch Pin Hole Too Small

Last edited:

jms63

Reaction score
OK thanks. I was starting to wonder if I needed to drill it out a little or if I was just missing something about this.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
OK thanks. I was starting to wonder if I needed to drill it out a little or if I was just missing something about this.
Yea its a defect all hitches are 5/8 standard size

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Look for weld splatter in the hitch hole itself.

KeggerTx

Reaction score
I had to grind a little burr off of mine with a dremel tool to get the pin to go through the receiver when I first got my 3500. It was right at the bottom of the hole on the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread