Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a new wanna be Ram owner out please...

Jasonw76

Reaction score
3/4 ton w/ air suspension (real air suspension, not helper bags) is a great daily driver and tow vehicle.
Resale will be awesome.
The Diesel runs at 1500rpm at 65mph and the MPG is decent. Super smooth and quiet while towing, its like sitting in your living room.
Tow rating per FCA is 11.5klbs fifth wheel (in my config with 4x4), you could buy a fifth wheel based on that limit or work with the pin weight as you stated.
I love my truck and just did a cross country trip with a 8klbs trailer. My wife and kids liked the ride and trip.
I am not too worried about potential future emission issues but if they occur I will go towards a tune w/o eliminating hardware. But I hear your concerns.
That's a terrible tow rating... You have the power wagon or what.... Why so low?
If I go ¾ ton it's absolutely gonna be a gasser so I don't completely blow through the payload rating lol (any 5er toy hauler we've looked at has been 2800-3100lb pin weight and 17k gvwr)
But I'm really hoping to find a one ton Cummins locally.

Last edited:

Jasonw76

Reaction score
After having a 2004 6.0, I got tired of them pulling the cab to address head gasket issues, I switched to Ram in 2013. I am on my 4th Ram since then and I will say I had 100% more problems with that 6.0 than I have ever had with all my Rams combined. I was hesitant when I switched as I had heard concerns about transmissions since I had some heavy trailers. All my trucks have had the Aisin which is only available in the 3500 and zero issues. You will be very pleased if you make the switch.
I haven't had any major issues with my 6.0, I've had to replace injector O rings and a few injectors other than that it's been pretty trouble free, has never left me stranded.... Can complain about it at all

Jasonw76

Reaction score
SRW 3500 with the Cummins is probably the smallest, do-all, rig you're looking for.

I have a 2500 Crew Cab with the Cummins and I just pull my 7,000 lb Jeep around on a 3500 lb trailer. It tows great, but a 2,000 lb payload goes fast in a crew cab truck. I wish I had gotten a SRW 3500.

Yeah I don't feel I need the Cummins, but I definitely won't turn my back on one if the price is right
This was my toy hauler back in the day, 92 E150 with the ol 351 in it lol

Attachments

• IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Yeah I don't feel I need the Cummins, but I definitely won't turn my back on one if the price is right
This was my toy hauler back in the day, 92 E150 with the ol 351 in it lol
How quickly do you need the truck and are you willing to travel to get it?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Not many deals with todays market, it's basically a MSRP or higher. If you can, factory order one

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on buying something in the next couple of months.... And I'm willing to travel some, I'd drive 6-8 hours for the right deal/truck

Factory order what you want from a volume dealer doing 3-5% under invoice.

I think I only saw one post concerning ride quality. I suspect the 06 Ford ride is similar to what my 04.5 Ram 2500 did and the new 3500 is leaps and bounds a better ride - though I do have the rear air assist and keep the tire pressure low when not towing. With pin weight on the truck and aired up, it's just as nice. When I don't have the boat following, the 32' fifth is only noticeable when I look in the mirror.

In addition to a pricing (MSRP) thread, and Build Order threads, there's a VIN tracking thread here you might get some idea what current build times are. Depending on model and options, I think some late orders have been just under 16 weeks (4 months) and they seem to be improving every day.

Jasonw76

Reaction score
I've got a local dealer bringing me in a l lower mileage 19 3500 SRW SO Cummins, should be able to test drive it today..... We'll see, I'm still not entirely convinced I need a diesel for my scenario but this one's in my budget....

Jasonw76

Reaction score
Well after back and forth and several sleepless nights for me, momma and I decided a 5th wheel will be down the road a bit lol, we really love our current Stryker 3116..... So I picked this up today and OMG is it nice so smooth and drives so effortlessly....
21 off-road sport with the Cummins...

Attachments

• 14bd4bed28a551aa9f3e0c2f3297d306.jpg
    14bd4bed28a551aa9f3e0c2f3297d306.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread