Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had an Idea

Frank

Reaction score
Shopping for Jeep mods for Mother's Day and had an idea. I want to add LED strips inside my wife's Jeep for courtesy lights, but those control boxes and remotes are so damn chincy. I would like to add a switch panel with rockers to control some other items and it led me down this path...

Controlling accessories via Arduino board. Operating power from accessory, wake signal from dome light power, 3 2 pole rockers for inputs - cycle color, dimmer, and override dome.

I've only found a couple examples on the internet but one guy was reading the CAN BUS and kicking off accessories as if the Arduino was 2nd BCM rather than tapping existing circuits.

I've never messed with these things and there isn't enough time to get this done by Sunday, but a project I'll throw 50 bucks at this summer and see how it goes.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. If you don't find the time to go that high tech, a friend recently posted up he was gifted a Rough Country switch system. It includes the rockers and a power distribution panel. Sounds interesting and is cheaper than some of the kits out there. I like that it has a battery monitor built in. I don't think he has installed it yet so I haven't heard any feedback.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
Another forum member just introduced me to these! I never knew there was such a thing. No need to run wires into cab, it’s all done wireless (in cab). You can operate accessories via the switch panel OR an app on phone. A little pricey, but I’m purchasing one tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank

Reaction score
RGB LED strips are 4 wire so that is the challenge - colors are made by adjusting each circuit's voltage by the RGB value. Cycling color change through a switch requires instructions for indexing where you are in the cycle and what the formula is for the next color.

Users who are viewing this thread