Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS NAV

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So I do some traveling to out of the way places here in the states as well as south of the border into Baja. Most of these places do not have cell service.
So I'm asking if the Uconnect GPS NAV will work in these places as long as I have a GPS signal?
Or do I have to find a area on the map and then save it like I have to on google maps on my Samsung phone?
If yes, any idea how to go about it? How do i recall the maps?

Or do i need to just buy a Lorance system?

lovegolf44

Reaction score
So I do some traveling to out of the way places here in the states as well as south of the border into Baja. Most of these places do not have cell service.
So I'm asking if the Uconnect GPS NAV will work in these places as long as I have a GPS signal?
Or do I have to find a area on the map and then save it like I have to on google maps on my Samsung phone?
If yes, any idea how to go about it? How do i recall the maps?

Or do i need to just buy a Lorance system?
I believe as long as you have a GPS signal, your nav will work. I don't believe it's tied in any way to cell towers. If you use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, then yes you have to have a cell signal.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The UConnect NAV is autonomous so that is not a problem in remote areas. But at the same time, it is not the most complete mapping software either. It's a hit or miss in term of what's displayed in remote areas. I find it surprising that sometimes very remote lumber roads are present while other normal roads (residential) aren't there. No idea who selected what to keep and why lol

That is the case in Canada anyway. Not sure about the US.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
UC5 is going to be using TomTom with OTA updates so the maps should be more up to date. Will be interesting to compare with Google Maps, I know it won't be as accurate but should be great when out in the boonies.

Users who are viewing this thread