Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good all around tires

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I currently have Yoko X-AT on my 2020. I have ran Yokos ATS for years now and love them, but if I was looking at just a highway tire it would be the Michelin LTX. Great tire for the road.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with Falken Wildpeak AT3's. They look great, they're pretty aggressive, but they're very quiet. We just got close to 30" of snow here in North Nj and I had to do a bunch of plowing, the tires did great. Never got stuck, and they allowed me to push huge mounds of snow pretty effortlessly.

Pronto

Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with Falken Wildpeak AT3's. They look great, they're pretty aggressive, but they're very quiet. We just got close to 30" of snow here in North Nj and I had to do a bunch of plowing, the tires did great. Never got stuck, and they allowed me to push huge mounds of snow pretty effortlessly.
I'm amazed by how quiet the Wildpeaks are. I knew they were supposed to be relatively quiet, but they were even quieter than I expected.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I was headed up to Phoenix from Tucson in a heavy rain storm last weekend and OMG truck started to hydroplane. First time I had ever experienced this form any truck. My 2500 16 Ram has the Michelin Defender LTX and always was able to handle any thing thrown at it. Went down today and bought a set of Michelin LTX for my 3500 and said good by to the Firestones it came with.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
I have duratracs in a 12 ply i love, but im bias and get a really really good deal. like 900 usd all in for 35x12.5r20's.

But unrelated question, how is the fuel mileage and cost of ownership ie maintenance ( oil change etc) compared between your tundra and diesel?
hi, first post. I bought a 19 Big Horn with the 6.7 to replace a 10 year old tundra that I loved. First RAM, first diesel. I gave up options so I could get the engine, it's amazing. I'm at 29k miles right now and the stock tires are all but done, so I'm looking for suggestions on replacements. 95% of my driving is highway, I tow 7k worth of camper most weekends with a generator and dirtbikes in the bed. It snows here so an all season is ideal, mainly I'm interested in a quiet highway ride and mileage. The truck won't be lifted, leveled or have the OEM wheels replaced. Is there a particular tire people here go to that holds up well? I'm eyeballing the pirelli scorpion at plus. Thanks for the help.

Rob122

Reaction score
Synthetic Oil changes were 70 dollars at the dealer. It cost me at least that to do it at home and its a messy internal filter. I put rotors and pads on it twice in 10 years. 2 serpentine belts around 60k miles each, tires and I broke 1 leaf in 1 spring which I got fixed at a spring shop for 120 bucks. Replaced 1 battery and 1 headlight bulb. Trans flushed every couple years just because and a water pump at 90k because the gasket was sketchy. I got 17mpg highway unloaded and about half that towing a 26 ft tt at around 7k lbs loaded. 2 dirtbikes, generator, wood, 15 gallons of spare fuel in the bed for everything. I was overloaded I'm sure, which led me to the ram. Gas was the biggest issue, fuel light came on at 19 gallons and that was about 160 miles depending on conditions.
The diesel gets 3 gallons of t6 rotella every 10k or so at 21 bucks a gallon. Oem fuel and oil filters from genos. I bought the tools the first time around. I do fuel filters with the oil changes.
Tires are a couple hundred dollars different for all 4.
Towing with the diesel is magic. It's shifts into 6th and just stays there. Trucks and busses don't push me around when I pass, I average 11mpg at 73, which is where the motor seems happy. The engine brake is fantastic. Overall the ram is a much more relaxing ride with a trailer. The half ton pulled the trailer fine but the diesel pulls it with no white knuckle moments. I learn as I go and knowing now what I do I won't use a half ton to do this again, regardless of what any mfgr says their truck can do. I beat that tundra week after week and it never cared. It was a really good truck. Diesel is 2.59 here, gas is 2.29. I can get 23 unloaded with the ram if I don't use cruise and stay around 70 or 75. Def seems to run at about 50:1 to fuel. I buy it from a truck stop pump near the house.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Synthetic Oil changes were 70 dollars at the dealer. It cost me at least that to do it at home and its a messy internal filter. I put rotors and pads on it twice in 10 years. 2 serpentine belts around 60k miles each, tires and I broke 1 leaf in 1 spring which I got fixed at a spring shop for 120 bucks. Replaced 1 battery and 1 headlight bulb. Trans flushed every couple years just because and a water pump at 90k because the gasket was sketchy. I got 17mpg highway unloaded and about half that towing a 26 ft tt at around 7k lbs loaded. 2 dirtbikes, generator, wood, 15 gallons of spare fuel in the bed for everything. I was overloaded I'm sure, which led me to the ram. Gas was the biggest issue, fuel light came on at 19 gallons and that was about 160 miles depending on conditions.
The diesel gets 3 gallons of t6 rotella every 10k or so at 21 bucks a gallon. Oem fuel and oil filters from genos. I bought the tools the first time around. I do fuel filters with the oil changes.
Tires are a couple hundred dollars different for all 4.
Towing with the diesel is magic. It's shifts into 6th and just stays there. Trucks and busses don't push me around when I pass, I average 11mpg at 73, which is where the motor seems happy. The engine brake is fantastic. Overall the ram is a much more relaxing ride with a trailer. The half ton pulled the trailer fine but the diesel pulls it with no white knuckle moments. I learn as I go and knowing now what I do I won't use a half ton to do this again, regardless of what any mfgr says their truck can do. I beat that tundra week after week and it never cared. It was a really good truck. Diesel is 2.59 here, gas is 2.29. I can get 23 unloaded with the ram if I don't use cruise and stay around 70 or 75. Def seems to run at about 50:1 to fuel. I buy it from a truck stop pump near the house.
Thanks brother glad you like the change I recently talked my friend out of a diesel to stick to gas because he's comfortable working on gas and isn't a diesel enthusiast like I am but ill show him this and see what he says. His biggest and only complain is fuel milage loaded or unloaded and oddly enough he also had a broken leaf. I lent him my 1017 diesel canyon to tow his trailer so he could go out may long and said it pulled his trailer better fuel milage than his tundra and just as easily with a dirt bike all gear and his family. Just cramped for space in the cab.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
34667c33138ef8b88d8cdee9ff058ab6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread