Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear whine like sound from engine. Variable with RPM.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Greetings.

Anyone else have a highish pitched gear-whine type noise from the engine? It almost reminds me of a timing gear drive (instead of chain) like some of us used to run on old small blocks, but much quieter. It's variable with RPM. I feel like sometimes it might be louder with cooler temps? Sometimes I think I can even hear the damn thing through the cab with the windows up.

Here's a crap video of it. Obviously, harder to hear and quieter over video than in real life but if you listen close, you'll hear it, especially during the short revs at the end of the video. Pay no attention to the clunk in the video before the revs,, that was just the rear axle going over a gate rail at work.

I don't know a ton about this engine. I.E. whether it uses electric power steering (it has the adaptive steering), or uses a gear drive set up front vs chain (I saw a video talking about scissor gears installed in the gear drive to quiet it down for 2019+)...etc. It's not the end of the world but it's annoying to listen to vs hearing just the diesel magic. Plan to bring it to a dealer as soon as time permits. Truck is a Feb 2020 build, about 1,700 miles on it so far.

Thanks.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Took it to a dealer and talked to a service advisor that deals with the diesels. He said he doesn't hear anything out of the ordinary so who knows. He mentioned Cummins using straight cut timing gears in these 6.7s so that would make sense to me why it has the gear whine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The new engine is so quiet I think many are hearing gear whine that's been there all along.

Mine whines a bit too. It's not a rattle like it's the CP4, so I believe it to be the timing/pump gears.

CG103480

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Did you ever get anymore info about this issue? I have the exact same whine and took it in to the dealer. The CP4 went out and they replaced the fuel system, but the whine is still there and seems to be getting worse (not sure if it’s because I’m more attuned to it). I took it back a second time and the tech said it was normal and thought it was coming from the turbo, but I hear it louder on the driver’s side and It doesn’t sound like the typical turbo spool up. Admittedly, this is my first diesel HD truck so not sure what’s normal or not. Here are a couple links to YouTube uploads (sorry, can’t figure out the video embed).

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The engine has a straight cut timing gear assembly up front. The gear whine is from the front of the engine. Louder on some trucks than others.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The engine has a straight cut timing gear assembly up front. The gear whine is from the front of the engine. Louder on some trucks than others.
Yea they have been using spur gears since 89 when they put the cummins in the pickups just now it is quiet enough to hear

CG103480

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. Not something I was aware of before, but glad it’s nothing to worry about mechanically.

3_Rams

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. Not something I was aware of before, but glad it’s nothing to worry about mechanically.
Mine makes the same whining sound as yours. I don't like it and it does not seem normal to me. Let us know if you run into any problems. Did yours sound the same before and after the CP4 replacement?

CG103480

Reaction score
Yeah, can’t say I’m a fan either, but I’ve gotten several opinions all amounting to nothing. The whine was there before and after the CP4 replacement. To me it sounds louder lately but it’s probably because I’m hypersensitive to it.

fjcanepa07

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing. I’m glad you got it clarified man. Makes me feel better aswell. I just bought a 2020 Laramie with 35k on it. So every little noise I hear I’m freaking out as well lol.

Zuber

Reaction score
I could hear the timing drive gear whine on my 2001, 2013 and now my 2021 which is the loudest.

I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread