Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Filter Replacement

jeanbeanappy

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the oil changed and asked for a fuel filter change as well since we were going on a several thousand mile trip pulling around 20,000 the entire way. They said is wasn't needed. I'm now home and fuel filter service indicator is coming up. Life says 1%. I called and they said not to drive it more 1000 miles but I can't get an appointment until the 5th and need the truck. I'm cranky they didn't replace it when I asked. However, how long is it really safe to drive with the indicator message on? Thank You.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the oil changed and asked for a fuel filter change as well since we were going on a several thousand mile trip pulling around 20,000 the entire way. They said is wasn't needed. I'm now home and fuel filter service indicator is coming up. Life says 1%. I called and they said not to drive it more 1000 miles but I can't get an appointment until the 5th and need the truck. I'm cranky they didn't replace it when I asked. However, how long is it really safe to drive with the indicator message on? Thank You.
can you not change it yourself? if you dont want to do the front one then id just order a rear one and change that one....then...imo....youd be fine to wait for your appointment for the front filter.....

jeanbeanappy

Reaction score
I can certainly try. I can barely see over the hood but I'll give it a shot.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need a step stool or climb in the engine bay.

If you have an HO/Aisin, grab a 10mm socket too to remove the trans dipstick tube bracket.

If you're doing the rear, get a tube/hose to put on the drain and be prepared to take a diesel bath.

If you don't have the 28MM socket, don't bother trying.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Realistically you can drive it for a long time before it gets clogged so if you really don't want to do it you are fine putting a couple thousand miles on it wont cause any issues

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
You'll need a step stool or climb in the engine bay.

If you have an HO/Aisin, grab a 10mm socket too to remove the trans dipstick tube bracket.

If you're doing the rear, get a tube/hose to put on the drain and be prepared to take a diesel bath.

If you don't have the 28MM socket, don't bother trying.
I actually made a device that allows the rear filter to be changed without a single drop of diesel hitting the truck or your arm/body. I had planned on manufacturing the tool and either licensing the design or selling them myself, but I think I will just give the idea away. It will cost $10 or so, and that includes the correct size and length of socket. You can wear a suit and tie while changing the filter; it works that well.

I'll start a new thread and post pictures and details of it in the next day or two. It will be my way of giving back to the RAM community. The amount of great information taken from the various forums over the years has been priceless.

Aketay

Reaction score
I’m at 356,000 miles and sometimes I change the front filter at 15,000. Sometimes it’s 30,000 . The rear filter is rated at 50,000, but I mostly change it at 15,000 because it’s cheaper and usually more available.

Nick

Reaction score
You should do it yourself at least once so you know how to do it There are many posts on this site that will explain in detail . Besides the dealers rip you off with what they charge to do it .Fuel filters and labor typically cost 3 to 4 hundred . Save yourself a bunch doing it yourself .

Users who are viewing this thread