Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Filter change interval?

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Hey, just did the oil change with the dash saying it was still 40% ok (about 10K miles). The fuel filters are reading the same (40%) and mechanic did NOT change those, saying he believes should only need to change fuel filters every 3rd oil change or so. (He may have been told this by Ford?)

Question is: How does the computer compute life on the fuel filters? Engine Hours? Miles Driven? Gallons of fuel run through the filter? (or the right way) a DP sensor on the filter that actually shows it's dirty?

Does the world end when it says 0% and you keep driving? I know the back filter is also a water trap, is that a big factor? (e.g. don't buy watery fuel!). How often should the fuel filters really be changed? TIA

areuriding

Reaction score
I changed mine every 10k religiously when I had a diesel. I figured it's better to be safe than sorry. It also gives you the chance to give everything the once over.

flan

Reaction score
Ram states 15k miles OR 1 year, whichever comes first. That’s in the owners manual. If you expect them to honor warranty concerns for your fuel system I’d stick with that service interval.

Will_T

Reaction score
Ram states 15k miles OR 1 year, whichever comes first. That’s in the owners manual. If you expect them to honor warranty concerns for your fuel system I’d stick with that service interval.
Yes, this is what they say needs to be done for the warranty - Kind of annoying if, like me, you only put 4,000 miles on the truck the first year. This 2nd year I may have a bit more but still not near the mileage limit. I may get to pay for 3 oil and fuel fillters change before I get to 15K.

Users who are viewing this thread