Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel economy and additives. 2022 HO Cummins

Gkockrow

Reaction score
Any body have any experience towing 10000 lbs with HO motor in 3500 2022. Our 2017 std Cummins got 12-14 in hilly and mountain driving. Wonder what expect as we head to Alaska then across northern Canada to Nova scotia. Thanks for ideas. Dealers sez should deliver next two weeks.

MtnRider

Reaction score
12-14 towing with your 17 is pretty impressive, (I assume that is based on the computer and not hand calculated). As GBB said, I'd budget 10mpg, if you get a little better then that then great but it won't be a whole lot better(maybe 11?)

Reaction score
Figure on 10mpg

ROFLMAO!!!! He better figure on 7-8.5mpg at best!!! You will cuss buying an HO if all you are hauling is 10K#!! Any headwind and you will see less!

My typical MPGs hauling boats weighing <10K is 9-10mpg and if they have a T-Top, the load pulls down to 8-9mpg. While hauling a 8900# TinyHome from Oregon to Maine, the BEST MPGs on the entire trip with a tailwind was 7.8mpg@65mph. The lower compression ratio is what kills the MPGs as the HO has a 16:1 vs the SO 19:1.

I recently deleted the DPF and tuned for such to see a huge gain in driveability as well as MPGs while towing. For the first time ever I saw >10mpg while towing anything!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
ROFLMAO!!!! He better figure on 7-8.5mpg at best!!! You will cuss buying an HO if all you are hauling is 10K#!! Any headwind and you will see less!

My typical MPGs hauling boats weighing <10K is 9-10mpg and if they have a T-Top, the load pulls down to 8-9mpg. While hauling a 8900# TinyHome from Oregon to Maine, the BEST MPGs on the entire trip with a tailwind was 7.8mpg@65mph. The lower compression ratio is what kills the MPGs as the HO has a 16:1 vs the SO 19:1.

I recently deleted the DPF and tuned for such to see a huge gain in driveability as well as MPGs while towing. For the first time ever I saw >10mpg while towing anything!

I pull 16K in the mountain west and get 9-10.

Truck only has 10K on it, it will improve.

You're not going to get good mileage towing a brick.

The lower compression ratio isn't what affects the mileage, it's the increased fuel/boost to make 1K lb.ft. The compression was reduced to allow more boost.

Reaction score
The lower compression ratio isn't what affects the mileage, it's the increased fuel/boost to make 1K lb.ft. The compression was reduced to allow more boost.
Ugh.... Brutal_HO yes it is. DUDE, we need to share a beer so I can go over this with you. LOL!!

Your statement is not correct, THUS the need to have MORE boost to equal the SAME power at a lower cylinder pressure. This is why Turbo vehicles are necessary, say in Colorado where the air density is LOWER. You can increase the power and economy in higher elevation areas by increasing the compression but ultimately BOOSTING is necessary. Stock Cummins 6.7L engines have been seeing 28-35psi since 2007 models. So the theory it was for MORE Boost is misleading. Boost is nothing more than a measurement of the restriction across the head as seen by the intake charge going into the combustion chamber. Changing nothing else, a ported head with larger intake piping will not see more boost as the restriction to flow has been decreased as well as the flow velocity. Lowering the compression ratio effectively is like adding a larger gate to the fence so more cows can run through during a given time. Couple this with turbine vane manipulation and the throttle valve control, lets the turbo will accelerate faster to give more ultimate torque since the resistance to packing the mass is lower. The tradeoff is when you are cruising without the need for sustained torque, when you need HORSEPOWER... you get very little. Remember, torque is what gets you there but HORSEPOWER is what KEEPS you there. Another comparison is why smaller import engines have lower displacement and lower compression ratios but need more RPM with higher gear multiplication to get the same amount of work completed. FCA's marketing wanted to compete with two V8 Diesels total power numbers (Powerstroke & Duramax) and could not do so with the EPA controlled mandates, so a compromise had to be made.

It is now that I have begun tuning to keep the turbine speed up without the restriction of the exhaust and soon decreasing the restrictions in the intake elbow & heater... the velocity vs mass will play a role in helping horsepower over just peak torque on demand. I have been tuning race cars for 30+ years... it will not take me long to figure this engine out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ugh.... Brutal_HO yes it is. DUDE, we need to share a beer so I can go over this with you. LOL!!

Your statement is not correct, THUS the need to have MORE boost to equal the SAME power at a lower cylinder pressure. This is why Turbo vehicles are necessary, say in Colorado where the air density is LOWER. You can increase the power and economy in higher elevation areas by increasing the compression but ultimately BOOSTING is necessary. Stock Cummins 6.7L engines have been seeing 28-35psi since 2007 models. So the theory it was for MORE Boost is misleading. Boost is nothing more than a measurement of the restriction across the head as seen by the intake charge going into the combustion chamber. Changing nothing else, a ported head with larger intake piping will not see more boost as the restriction to flow has been decreased as well as the flow velocity. Lowering the compression ratio effectively is like adding a larger gate to the fence so more cows can run through during a given time. Couple this with turbine vane manipulation and the throttle valve control, lets the turbo will accelerate faster to give more ultimate torque since the resistance to packing the mass is lower. The tradeoff is when you are cruising without the need for sustained torque, when you need HORSEPOWER... you get very little. Remember, torque is what gets you there but HORSEPOWER is what KEEPS you there. Another comparison is why smaller import engines have lower displacement and lower compression ratios but need more RPM with higher gear multiplication to get the same amount of work completed. FCA's marketing wanted to compete with two V8 Diesels total power numbers (Powerstroke & Duramax) and could not do so with the EPA controlled mandates, so a compromise had to be made.

It is now that I have begun tuning to keep the turbine speed up without the restriction of the exhaust and soon decreasing the restrictions in the intake elbow & heater... the velocity vs mass will play a role in helping horsepower over just peak torque on demand. I have been tuning race cars for 30+ years... it will not take me long to figure this engine out.

Race cars are gas, so all your tribal tuning knowledge is not going to apply the same to diesel.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
12-14 towing with your 17 is pretty impressive, (I assume that is based on the computer and not hand calculated). As GBB said, I'd budget 10mpg, if you get a little better then that then great but it won't be a whole lot better(maybe 11?)

My main reason for going to HO now is Aisen trans. Secondary is larger fifth wheel next year.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Any body have any experience towing 10000 lbs with HO motor in 3500 2022. Our 2017 std Cummins got 12-14 in hilly and mountain driving. Wonder what expect as we head to Alaska then across northern Canada to Nova scotia. Thanks for ideas. Dealers sez should deliver next two weeks.

14mpg towing 10k lbs?

Got any beach-side property you want to sell in Dubai?

Reaction score
Race cars are gas, so all your tribal tuning knowledge is not going to apply the same to diesel.

Hello Pot, this is Kettle.
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 8.52.14 AM.png

Reaction score
So if you want to try something I have been using for years...

When towing up North and having to buy Winterized fuel, I have found quite an advantage to using Quicksilver Semi-Synthetic Blend 2-Stroke oil by adding a gallon to my Auxiliary fuel tank when filling up. The noted differences on long hauls has been anywhere from a .5-1.2 mpg and the cold start-ups are far quieter, no injector rattle. This past week, we were snowed'in Wyoming when I-90 was closed for high winds and snow/ice... with temps dipping into single-digits, my truck started up without issue or noise.

As for using this with full DPF systems intact... I have seen no issues for six years on all my rented fleet trucks which were 2500 models ranging from 2015 to 2020.

Another instance in using 2-stroke oil was when hauling really heavy boats for long distances and with the 2500/68RFE trucks I would lockout 6th gear, thus running 2K+ RPMs all day. Whether or not this helped make the engines last longer is speculative but the bottom line was I never had any issues on any of these trucks that lead me to be stuck waiting on a dealer or claiming any warranty issues.

Ironcityx

Reaction score
So if you want to try something I have been using for years...

When towing up North and having to buy Winterized fuel, I have found quite an advantage to using Quicksilver Semi-Synthetic Blend 2-Stroke oil by adding a gallon to my Auxiliary fuel tank when filling up. The noted differences on long hauls has been anywhere from a .5-1.2 mpg and the cold start-ups are far quieter, no injector rattle. This past week, we were snowed'in Wyoming when I-90 was closed for high winds and snow/ice... with temps dipping into single-digits, my truck started up without issue or noise.

As for using this with full DPF systems intact... I have seen no issues for six years on all my rented fleet trucks which were 2500 models ranging from 2015 to 2020.

Another instance in using 2-stroke oil was when hauling really heavy boats for long distances and with the 2500/68RFE trucks I would lockout 6th gear, thus running 2K+ RPMs all day. Whether or not this helped make the engines last longer is speculative but the bottom line was I never had any issues on any of these trucks that lead me to be stuck waiting on a dealer or claiming any warranty issues.
Been running 2 stroke in my diesels for years does make a diffrence

Mikee

Reaction score
Any body have any experience towing 10000 lbs with HO motor in 3500 2022. Our 2017 std Cummins got 12-14 in hilly and mountain driving. Wonder what expect as we head to Alaska then across northern Canada to Nova scotia. Thanks for ideas. Dealers sez should

Mikee

Reaction score
My experience in higher altitudes my truck preforms better an fuel mileage is increased by 50 to 60 miles i also add EDT FUEL additives an into oil etc,but everyone experience will differ make sure you buy a degell additives when the temperature drops in Nova Scotia

Users who are viewing this thread