Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated with the trailer TPMS

HillHD

Reaction score
At Discount tire 7:15am with the 5thwheel. Second in line so service was quick to have the TPMS monitors installed, tires balanced and rotated. Got home and that’s when the frustration level pegged out.
Was on the 6th attempt pairing was successful. So that helped with the frustration meter a little. Then turned the truck off and went in the house for about 30min. After starting the truck again the screen was red and not showing any trailer pressures. Watching the screen for @5 minutes a message came up saying trailer TPMS not setup.
So I’m asking for help. 5th wheel is 38’ tandem axle. Thinking the truck TPMS receiver is broke or weak.

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
Wheels on trailer might have to be driven for them to activate. I think they have a battery saver. Just guessing they are like some other vehicle pressure sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillHD

Reaction score
Wheels on trailer might have to be driven for them to activate. I think they have a battery saver. Just guessing they are like some other vehicle pressure sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

ArtyS

Reaction score
My dealer install failed yesterday and they gave me the attached note regarding an engineering update. I see now that trailer should be driven to wake up sensors. This is a 2022 2500, and I presume at this point all necessary parts (receiver etc.) have been factory installed. I came upon this forum looking for information regarding the attachment...

20220323_144950.jpg

regal2800

Reaction score
You have to drive it for the pressure to read if it’s been sitting a while.

gaeufarms

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 3500 I just installed trailer tpms components. I can’t get the trailer to pair. Do I have to pull the trailer to wake up the sensors? Pulling my hair out on this one.

22limited

Reaction score
I have my ttpms in and they work great even on a 45’ tri axle
The only issue so far is the set pressure goes back to 50psi I just reset it to 110 and it’s good to go. Yes you have to drive to wake up the sensors some wake up driving through the campground but the others are soon as you get onto the road and the speed increases.

ArtyS

Reaction score
Yes you need to pull your trailer for a couple miles before you install

ArtyS

Reaction score
I have run into other issues that I have worked around after installation. I start with an undefined trailer then switch to the defined trailer after it says not recognized. This works every time

mixolydian12

Reaction score
Interesting to see that service bulletin. I definitely have problem #2. I have to reset the target pressure every time I start the truck. Really tedious to do.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 3500 I just installed trailer tpms components. I can’t get the trailer to pair. Do I have to pull the trailer to wake up the sensors? Pulling my hair out on this one.

Please explain more/better.

Did you add the sales feature that includes the headliner TPMS module and jumper cable, the bumper receiver, and enable the sales code using AlfaOBD?

Or are you just referring to the wheel sensors?

ArtyS

Reaction score
Interesting to see that service bulletin. I definitely have problem #2. I have to reset the target pressure every time I start the truck. Really tedious to do.
Yes mine also resets to 50. I have given up on that problem and just live with it. I think it's 20% down that the alarm would go off, so 40 would be ok with me for notification. I leave the pressure on when towing anyway, so it's not the worst problem to have. I have speculated that this gets set permanent on first time setup, so I have pondered setting up trailer on a different line, but since it's otherwise working, I'm not messing with anything

Users who are viewing this thread