Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who bought a used TT or 5th Wheel - did you do a pre-purchase inspection?

roegs

Reaction score
Sorry...not sure if this is the right place for this question. We're buying a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS. Wondering how important it is to get a pre-purchase inspection? Its out of state so all I've seen this far is photos and conversations with the owner (original). Older gentleman and his wife that just never used it much. I talked to one inspector from nrvia.org and his inspections are $600. Says it takes him 8-9 hours. Not sure if I'm needing something that detailed. I'm basically looking for someone to meet me at the 5th wheel and inspect for any water leaks or structural issues. For those that bought later model used RV's, did you get them inspected before purchasing?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
If all your going off is photos. I would recommend getting one, or at least not finalizing anything until you can lay eyes on it yourself.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Just be aware that no matter how much money you spend, 5th wheels and travel trailers all are built with cheap materials. Trim will fall off, doors will sag, latches will break.. its all normal wear and tear, even if your "gentle". If you plan on towing a ton, its going to sustain damage.

I would get it inspected for piece of mind, but im confident you won't find anything.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just go through it yourself it really simple stuff

and it being a 2020 any damage would have to be easy to spot not going to be hidden like people hide stuff with older trailers

Bob_ag

Reaction score
I agree. These things aren’t real complicated. Make sure you can check it out with everything running, particularly slides, water, AC, awning, etc. check for soft spots but something that new is probably ok.

whitexc

Reaction score
Are you new to RV'ing? There isn't a ton to go wrong but the newer models with slides and everything tucked away and hidden things can get complicated if you A) don't have any sort of warranty and or B) you don't have the mechanical ability to troubleshoot and perform maintenance and repairs yourself.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

roegs

Reaction score
Just be aware that no matter how much money you spend, 5th wheels and travel trailers all are built with cheap materials. Trim will fall off, doors will sag, latches will break.. its all normal wear and tear, even if your "gentle". If you plan on towing a ton, its going to sustain damage.
No truer words have been spoken - everything on these (at least the levels I'm looking at) is based on the lowest possible cost.

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke again to the NRVIA inspector and he can do a condensed inspection for $300. I may take him up on that. I've owned multiple travel trailers in the past, but its been 15 years since then and I'm not current on some of the new methods used to build RV's. My big concerns are always around water. I spoke with the 5th wheel owner this am, and he did mention that he had a mobile RV Service guy service wheel bearings and check the roof caulking this past Fall. With that and the newness of this 5th wheel I may just pass on the inspection.

DougB

Reaction score
No truer words have been spoken - everything on these (at least the levels I'm looking at) is based on the lowest possible cost.

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke again to the NRVIA inspector and he can do a condensed inspection for $300. I may take him up on that. I've owned multiple travel trailers in the past, but its been 15 years since then and I'm not current on some of the new methods used to build RV's. My big concerns are always around water. I spoke with the 5th wheel owner this am, and he did mention that he had a mobile RV Service guy service wheel bearings and check the roof caulking this past Fall. With that and the newness of this 5th wheel I may just pass on the inspection.
I just bought a 2017 TT and wish I had had the shop that was doing the new roof run thru a full systems check. After I had gotten it and was prepping it for our maiden voyage found the toilet leaked, brakes were weak, a couple slides leaked in the rain, and the TV antenna won’t rotate. Not big things but would’ve rather had them known ahead and possibly taken care of and negotiated more on price. Also, the seller may be more receptive to a professional inspection taking that long vs a potential buyer possibly wasting their time. Figure if your spending a few hundred on an inspection you’re likely going to buy it still, barring major issues.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Just run through and make sure all systems work. HVAC (ac and heat), water heater (mine failed on the very first trip out--brand new $75k trailer), generator if equipped--(seems obvious but again, my brand new generator wouldnt idle due to a bad carburetor float),

Check for leaks in all tanks (black, grey, fresh), check fuel station for operation (if equipped), check radio/stereo and all TVs. Check awning for proper operation, check batteries and solar system if equipped. Check age of tires, brand of tires, tire tread life.

As mentioned above, these things are built cheap as hell so dont be discouraged by misaligned panels or trim that needs replacing.

Aboutree50

Reaction score
Yup, go through every system. I did a eyeballed everything on my trailer when buying it and when I brought it home found the heat wasn't working and a few other things. Take your time and have the guy do the inspection. Often when buying things, we don't have a clear head.

Frank

Reaction score
If I was going to spend Grand Design money on a trailer that is dropping off warranty, I wouldn't bat an eye at $600 for that thorough of an inspection. I had an electric stabilizer jack replaced (under warranty) and as simple as that was it was over $600.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Sorry...not sure if this is the right place for this question. We're buying a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS. Wondering how important it is to get a pre-purchase inspection? Its out of state so all I've seen this far is photos and conversations with the owner (original). Older gentleman and his wife that just never used it much. I talked to one inspector from nrvia.org and his inspections are $600. Says it takes him 8-9 hours. Not sure if I'm needing something that detailed. I'm basically looking for someone to meet me at the 5th wheel and inspect for any water leaks or structural issues. For those that bought later model used RV's, did you get them inspected before purchasing?
We bought a used Durango Gold and didn't do a pre-inspection. I wish I had though. It can seem impractical to do one but if you have the means I would recommend it.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Maybe post where the unit is and one of us GD owners can go look at it for you and check it over? Biggest thing on all RVs is the roof sealant. If it has a slide out bedroom closet on a Schwintek slide system, they are vulnerable to damage especially if the owner has never properly lubed the drive motors or the slide rail guides. Schwintek slides are less robust than the old rack and pinion style, but they are small and light and hide within the slide wall cut out. There are great Youtube videos showing you how to easily lube them in just a few minutes with a can of spray lube.

My Grand Design Reflection (also a 2020) has been flawless so far and we have it in a perm spot and use it 4 days a week, and I pull it out and tow it for trips... returning it to the seasonal site. We use it like a second home. I am extremely happy with the build quality compared to my previous 2020 Coachman Apex (puke!) that was partical board with wood wallpaper over it. Grand Design is actual residential cabinetry and much higher (price) quality than many. I am near Pittsburgh Pa, so I could go look if it happened to be on my area of the earth.

Lary0071

Reaction score

roegs

Reaction score
Do you live in Georgia. I'll come help you inspect it for free.
I'm wishing I lived in Georgia now! :)

Thanks for all the replies. The 5th wheel is just outside of Omaha. After speaking with the owner more, he said that he had the unit gone over just before winterizing last Fall. The did wheel bearings and touched up some caulk on the roof. We're driving down there Sunday and I have a guy with a mobile RV service company that will inspect for $220. He had excellent reviews (which is about all I can go by being this far away). Also have a spreadsheet from one of the RV listing things to check. I'm thinking we should be good to go!

woody284

Reaction score
Check the date on the LP tanks. I bought a used 2013 FW, a years ago. I didn’t think anything of it and the guy had swapped out the LP tank with some older bottles. They have a 10 year life before they have to be recertified. No one will refill them around here until they have been. Problem is there is only one place that will recert them and it’s on the other side of the county and you have to drop them off and can’t wait. The other is the only place that trades them out is is the next county over. Neither a big deal just a hassle compared to an easy refill locally.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Check the tire dates. Had a fellow on an RV board buy a new camper with 5 year old tires. Not sure if the dealer was swapping tires or what. But he didn't know it until it blew and caused damage.

Users who are viewing this thread