Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First tow

orlando bull

Reaction score
Well, the Mrs and I took the RV down to Sarasota for a long weekend. Only about 130 miles or so each way.

We have a 32' travel trailer, weighing in at probably 7200lbs or so.

My God, it was a pleasure. Absolutely a joy to pull with the new truck. Coming from an F150, it really drove home how on the edge we were with that truck.

With the new truck, I could feel the trailer back there, but, barely. Truck only came out of 6th gear maybe twice on hills. I set the cruise on about 63 on the way down and 66 on the way back. Truck would certainly do more, but, I don't want to push the RV tires too hard. For the trip, we got 11.1 MPG according to the truck. Didn't have a chance to hand calc it. Actually did a bit better on the way back even at higher speed, probably a product of a little bit of break in.

So happy with my truck. I felt so much safer. Even my wife commented that she didn't feel the trailer back there from the copilot seat.

Only problem on the whole trip is that I have to spend the evening cleaning the love bugs off the truck tonight after my little one goes to bed. They are awful down here right now. Can't wait until they are gone!

20190504_121400.jpg

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see actual hand calc'd numbers. However, 11.1 on the dash is encouraging!

D

Deleted member 80

Great report, thanks! The HD trucks do such a great job towing. Generally at about 10K miles a Cummins will pick up a bit of MPG, and then at around 30-35K miles. WIth the new motor and low tension rings, etc. that may be out the window, but we'll see!

orlando bull

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see actual hand calc'd numbers. However, 11.1 on the dash is encouraging!

Me too. But, we do mostly short trips that don't require us to stop for fuel. With the Mrs being pregnant with twins, I don't know when we will do a longer trip.

That was total trip, with a lot of idling because I had the dogs in the truck while unhooking and hooking up the trailer both home and at the RV park.

When we left the park down there, the truck said 10.6, it actually gained on the way home at a decent speed.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Me too. But, we do mostly short trips that don't require us to stop for fuel. With the Mrs being pregnant with twins, I don't know when we will do a longer trip.

That was total trip, with a lot of idling because I had the dogs in the truck while unhooking and hooking up the trailer both home and at the RV park.

When we left the park down there, the truck said 10.6, it actually gained on the way home at a decent speed.
Congrats on the twins!

BigDaveTX

Reaction score
Just finished a 3300 mile trip with the new 5th wheel. Across West Texas, Stop in Tucson for a few days, store the rig in AZ for final leg into California, back to the rig, few days in Prescott and a few days back to S. Texas.

The truck pulled great, rode great. A few mountain passes, just overall a great towing experience. I'm so glad I went with the 6.7, the torque is awesome.

A couple of medium (6-700 mile) trips in the immediate future then off on another run, maybe the redneck riviera or black hills.

Users who are viewing this thread