Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First long road trip towing 2021 RAM 2500 HD 6.7 Laramie

jkempken

Reaction score
I averaged 8.5 MPG pulling 8000 lbs. V-nose inline snowmobile sled trailer @80-85 MPH for 2000 miles. I also have 35x12.5" tires that do not help in the MPG game. On a different shorter trip I got around 9 - 9.5mpg going 75-80 with the same truck and trailer combination.

sanda

Reaction score
I averaged 8.5 MPG pulling 8000 lbs. V-nose inline snowmobile sled trailer @80-85 MPH for 2000 miles. I also have 35x12.5" tires that do not help in the MPG game. On a different shorter trip I got around 9 - 9.5mpg going 75-80 with the same truck and trailer combination.
I do right at 10 mpg hand calculated with my hemi towing 8800# with another 1500 in the bed. BUT I only tow at 65 mph.

Dan M.

Reaction score
Thanks! That pretty good mileage for a gasser towing that much load.
I was pretty happy with my new Cummins when I saw 17mpg on the freeway. Then I hooked up the travel trailer. Ha!
My average towing is 11-12 (11 being more realistic I think). I am pretty conservative on the skinny pedal. I set the cruise on the freeway between 65-67 (70mph speed limit). Just hunker down and let her turn just over 1500rpm. Still better then the 7mpg I was getting with my Tundra 5.7 and only a 200 mile cruise range.
Diesel fuel prices can come down anytime now.

sanda

Reaction score
Thanks! That pretty good mileage for a gasser towing that much load.
I was pretty happy with my new Cummins when I saw 17mpg on the freeway. Then I hooked up the travel trailer. Ha!
My average towing is 11-12 (11 being more realistic I think). I am pretty conservative on the skinny pedal. I set the cruise on the freeway between 65-67 (70mph speed limit). Just hunker down and let her turn just over 1500rpm. Still better then the 7mpg I was getting with my Tundra 5.7 and only a 200 mile cruise range.
Diesel fuel prices can come down anytime now.
And of course that mpg is in good conditions. No bad winds or steep mountain roads.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Someone help me understand how to hand calculate mpg with my 35s? I have the EVIC telling me 11.5 avg mpg towing my 5k flatbed trailer but wondering how much it’s changed since adding new tires. My Speedo is lower than reality by 2mph.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Someone help me understand how to hand calculate mpg with my 35s? I have the EVIC telling me 11.5 avg mpg towing my 5k flatbed trailer but wondering how much it’s changed since adding new tires. My Speedo is lower than reality by 2mph.
take the miles driven and divide by how much fuel it burned over that distance, duh... :D

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
take the miles driven and divide by how much fuel it burned over that distance, duh... :D

He's asking how to calculate with a speedo offset of 2MPH due to larger tires.

Answer is; correct the speedo error, then use Mega's method.

;)

To the question at large, You didn't say at what speed it's off by 2MPH so there's no way to provide an answer.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
He's asking how to calculate with a speedo offset of 2MPH due to larger tires.

Answer is; correct the speedo error, then use Mega's method.

;)

To the question at large, You didn't say at what speed it's off by 2MPH so there's no way to provide an answer.
Haha idk how I even make money. Im so bad at math.

At 50mph, it was 2mph off via street sign radar.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You can check over a certain confirmed distance (i.e. from one city to another, confirm through google maps or something), or get yourself an AlphaOBD and correct the tire size. Don't rely on EVIC numer, it lies.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So realistically my real MPG will be 4% lower than what I calculate/EVIC?

The truck has gone more miles than it thinks.

If you travel 1000 miles and calculate 11.5MPG that's about 87 gallons.

You've actually traveled ~1040 miles and at 87 gallons that's about 12MPG.

Or add 4% to the shown MPG, but if you hand calculate, it will likely be close to the actual EVIC lie-o-meter or somewhere in between anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread