Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone OEM tires

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I'm curious what you meant by this. Did you mean that after towing at 90% rating, your air pressure rose from 90psi cold to 100psi hot? I would think this is normal due to the effects of the Ideal Gas law. It does not take long in driving for the tires to start to warm up, correspondingly heating up the air, where the result must be that pressure will increase as volume remains static while temperature rises.

An example of how important this is relates to my motorcycle road racing (GP style track racing). We use tire warmers to heat our tires as well as heat sinking the rims as much as possible to about 175F. It's at that temp that we set tire pressure, based on our bike, the track conditions, and the specific tire. Even then, after sitting on the grid we then do a "warm up lap" before final grid - for which the purpose is in large part to get some more heat in those tires. Tire warmers are even used on the grid and removed (along with the portable generator, wheel stands, etc) just before they're ready to drop the flag.

So, I would not at all be concerned over a 10 degree F increase in temp from cold after driving even a short distance. But that's just my thought.

In the pic, you can see why tire performance and temps are something I was pretty concerned with.......
Firestone rear tires went from 80 PSI cold, to over 100 with under 6000 on the rear axle. Michelin tires did not do that with the same load, same truck.

I am also used to adjusting motorcycle tire pressures base on % of increase from cold to race temp.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Firestone rear tires went from 80 PSI cold, to over 100 with under 6000 on the rear axle. Michelin tires did not do that with the same load, same truck.

I am also used to adjusting motorcycle tire pressures base on % of increase from cold to race temp.

OK, in your previous post you said 90psi to 100psi. Not a big change. Curious what the Michelin tires did and which models. Obviously there will be a pressure increase. There has to be. The only question is how much different that increase was.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
OK, in your previous post you said 90psi to 100psi. Not a big change. Curious what the Michelin tires did and which models. Obviously there will be a pressure increase. There has to be. The only question is how much different that increase was.
My coopers only go up 4-5 psi max at full loads

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Michelin never got over 95 on I-95 450 miles NC to FL in June. and usually not that high.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Just for kicks, I'll try to remember to check mine. Did you just use the TPMS data or did you actually check with a gauge. I have a trip pulling the GN in a few weeks and if I don't have a senior moment I'll try to see what the stockers do. I do have to say I'm pretty surprised that your Michelins never got over 95 on that stretch of road in June. No matter what tire, I would have expected more than a 5 degree increase. If I have time, I'll do the math. I'll have to try and estimate surface temps and heat increase and volume but then it's just simple math with the ideal gas law. BTW - I am certainly not questioning what you saw. I'm just surprised. Even a typical care tire with low load will see about a 3 degree increase just in normal driving in the first 15 minutes.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Just for kicks, I'll try to remember to check mine. Did you just use the TPMS data or did you actually check with a gauge. I have a trip pulling the GN in a few weeks and if I don't have a senior moment I'll try to see what the stockers do. I do have to say I'm pretty surprised that your Michelins never got over 95 on that stretch of road in June. No matter what tire, I would have expected more than a 5 degree increase. If I have time, I'll do the math. I'll have to try and estimate surface temps and heat increase and volume but then it's just simple math with the ideal gas law. BTW - I am certainly not questioning what you saw. I'm just surprised. Even a typical care tire with low load will see about a 3 degree increase just in normal driving in the first 15 minutes.
Apparently I typed in error earlier. I started at 80psi. And the Firestones jumped up to over 100 PSI quickly. The Michelin never got over 95 PSI.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
On the Dually's &CC trucks, RAM is bringing Michelins and Goodyear back as choices though I cannot locate the article I saw for the life of me. If it's the Michelin cross-climate, they are getting worse reviews than the Firestone or Nexus tires.

Just had Nexus steer tire tread separation on our 2022 with only 18,000 miles on them.

When I called the dealership they said the tires that come out of the factory are not the same quality of tire you'll get from a them or Discount Tire. This was news to me! The dealership didn't offer any assistance or solution other than "contact the manufacturer".

Just put 6 Continentals on the truck and can already tell a difference, next new truck I get first trip will be to the tire shop to get whatever tire that comes from the factory off!

On a side note, Discount Tire ran the claim for us and save us the hassle for only $110. Also the salesman informed me he had seen Ram dually come in with all 6 tires separated with less than 1,000 miles!

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
Just had Nexus steer tire tread separation on our 2022 with only 18,000 miles on them.

When I called the dealership they said the tires that come out of the factory are not the same quality of tire you'll get from a them or Discount Tire. This was news to me! The dealership didn't offer any assistance or solution other than "contact the manufacturer".

Just put 6 Continentals on the truck and can already tell a difference, next new truck I get first trip will be to the tire shop to get whatever tire that comes from the factory off!

On a side note, Discount Tire ran the claim for us and save us the hassle for only $110. Also the salesman informed me he had seen Ram dually come in with all 6 tires separated with less than 1,000 miles!
If you go straight to Discount Tires after you buy the truck, they'll give you credit for the crap stock tires. Think I got like $300 towards my new set.

I never leave stock tires on any vehicle. I even swapped out my stock 5th wheel tires on the way home after I bought it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

i find that hard to believe. No decent manufacture would sabotage their own product and reputation like that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you go straight to Discount Tires after you buy the truck, they'll give you credit for the crap stock tires. Think I got like $300 towards my new set.

I never leave stock tires on any vehicle. I even swapped out my stock 5th wheel tires on the way home after I bought it.

This is very much store dependent. My closest DT will not take/offer trades.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
This is very much store dependent. My closest DT will not take/offer trades.
Guess I've been just lucky, but I took the last two new vehicles I've bought to two different DT's and received the same type of offer.

Maybe I'm just really likeable.....

TW720HVY

Reaction score
i find that hard to believe. No decent manufacture would sabotage their own product and reputation like that.

It's literally what my Ram dealership's service department said. Why would I make that up? He also mentioned the Firestone Transforce, which I also have on our 2500, he said from the factory they're not good, but it's a really good tire when purchased.

What I am finding hard to believe is that a LT E-rated tire came apart, the truck is climate controlled garage kept.

Regardless, I'll NEVER have another set of NEXUS tires on anything.

Last edited:

TW720HVY

Reaction score

That's good to know, maybe it also depends on your purchasing history, either way I give it a try if there's a next time.

On a side note, we purchased a livestock trailer this past January. While we were driving to AR to pick it up I asked my wife to call DT and compare the "road hazard coverage" to that of the dealership. They told her they'll cover our new tires even though we did not purchase them through DT. The next day I pulled into our local shop and the coverage for our trailer's tires was a substantial savings.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's literally what my Ram dealership's service department said. Why would I make that up? He also mentioned the Firestone Transforce, which I also have on our 2500, he said from the factory they're not good, but it's a really good tire when purchased.

What I am finding hard to believe is that a LT E-rated tire came apart, the truck is climate controlled garage kept.

Regardless, I'll NEVER have another set of NEXUS tires on anything.
Im not saying you are the one making it up….the dealer is full of it, there is no version of the trashforce that is any good

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Im not saying you are the one making it up….the dealer is full of it, there is no version of the trashforce that is any good

Gotcha, and I was not looking to replace to them.

My wife did also say it didn't make sense, and said why would a tire manufacturer make a lower standard for the exact same tire and ruin their reputation. Either way, never will I have a set a Nexus tires again!

ppine

Reaction score
Okay everyone hates the Firestone tires. I kind of like em. They are fine in snow, in the dirt, and when towing a trailer. Maybe I am just old used to much worse tires.
If you look up the reviews for the OEM tires they are very positive.
I will never get the strong urge by so many people to immediately ditch their tires and wheels.

unclelala

Reaction score
Okay everyone hates the Firestone tires. I kind of like em. They are fine in snow, in the dirt, and when towing a trailer. Maybe I am just old used to much worse tires.
If you look up the reviews for the OEM tires they are very positive.
I will never get the strong urge by so many people to immediately ditch their tires and wheels.
The olny thing I would agree with you is the towing part as long as it is dry asphalt. I found the FS tires really bad on our snowy Ontario roads and terrible in the mud and grass at the campgrounds. When travelling in snowy slushy conditions it was a white knuckle affair for me.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It’s like fudd lore for tires

Don’t believe someone just because they’re behind a counter.

Last edited:

russ2588

Reaction score
My 3500 HO is being built currently. Was wondering what you guys that already have your trucks thought about the stock tires that come with the truck? I’ll be towing my 35’ travel trailer with it. Wondering if they’re decent enough tires to run until they wear out or should they be replaced right away?
They aren’t bad they just wear fast. I have 22k on mine and i am just getting down to the wear bars. i use mine under the same conditions you will with towing a 30 foot plus camper.

Users who are viewing this thread