Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth wheel bridge clearance

davis2

Reaction score
AFAIK only truckers GPS have some bridge heights. So, I would just plan a route that suits you and do not PASS UNDER any structure without reading its height. Measure yours, add a safety margin and you will be safe.
Usually those with low clearance will have warning well in advance so you can alternate your route before reaching the structure.
You'd be surprised by how many people don't pay attention.

foneguy

Reaction score
Yes, I remember trips with my wife having the map all spread out on her side of the truck and me asking for directions. What added to the fun was when I had to tell her that the map was upside down, and that we had just left that city and not that we were about to go into it. Yup that was so much fun, and less stressful too... NOT ;)

EDIT; my wife got a good laugh at the above, but then reminded me of the "next generation" roadtrip navigation... her with a laptop and then the battery would die and she'd be scrambling to plug it in. Or, we would get into an area where obviously there was new construction, so we would drive into a residential neighborhood and I would slowly drive by houses until she found a wifi signal; I'd pull over, she'd connect and download an update to the maps then plot a new route. Hey don't judge me, it was better than the paper map scenario!

B
funny...on our very first trip 29 years ago we had an AAA triptik for our drive from cleveland to upper Maine and then to Port Hyannis Mass.... anyway after a few hours i asked my wife where we were, showed me the page ....i tore the page off and tossed it out the window.

the horror in her eyes when she ashed why i did that , i told her those roads are behind us and so is this map.
then she whining on how we wont know our way home.....PRICELESS!

Frank

Reaction score
funny...on our very first trip 29 years ago we had an AAA triptik for our drive from cleveland to upper Maine and then to Port Hyannis Mass.... anyway after a few hours i asked my wife where we were, showed me the page ....i tore the page off and tossed it out the window.

the horror in her eyes when she ashed why i did that , i told her those roads are behind us and so is this map.
then she whining on how we wont know our way home.....PRICELESS!

These are great stories. I don't get these reactions from my wife because when it comes to navigation her attitude is that is the driver's job as long as she can stop every 30 miles. My poor mom though...I've had fun with it over the years. It started when I was 16 and her and I were driving across country to my grandparents for Christmas. She had everything drawn out in an old paper atlas that was missing half the interstates. I-75 was shut down near Cincy and backed up for over 100 miles. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know the Midwest is on a grid so I drove 20 miles east and took whatever US highway south and followed street signs from there. I thought she was going to have a panic attack telling me how I was going to get us lost. I told her to put the atlas down, the sun is that way, so south is that way, just keep moving for a few hours until you hit the river. I still drive that way today despite having GPS.

I don't like her driving long distances any more but she still does it. She has a Tom Tom stuck to her windshield, not even sure if they still make those. A few years ago on her way home from visiting she sent me an email (I just bought her first cell phone last year after stiff resistance) to let me know she made it to the hotel safely and how nice Alabama was. She was supposed to stay the night in Kentucky....now who is going to get us lost?

Users who are viewing this thread