Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory sub install/questions

herdbull

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a factory sub from an '18 for pretty cheap. My truck is a '22 Tradesman with the 5" UConnect and no factory sub. Any issues with fitment when installing the sub from an '18 into a '22?

Highly doubtful there is factory connections in my truck for this so I'm already planning on adding a small amp behind the rear passenger seat. I read somewhere these factory subs are 6ohms? Can I drive this sub with any single channel 1,2 or 4 ohm amp? Still trying to learn the ins and outs of these newer trucks. The price is right, that's the only reason I am considering it.

Aketay

Reaction score
You would be better off buying a line level sub adapter and small amp to power the factory sub. Unfortunately the factory radio is designed to save itself and the speakers at all cost regardless of sound quality. The louder you turn it up, the lower the bass output is to prevent clipping. I Run an Audio Control processor with Accu-Bass to counteract the factory rolloff. You also need resistance prior to the processor as the factory head unit will shut the amp down without the proper resistance indicating a speaker is attached. A good stereo shop with great installers that understand new car systems should be able to sell you the equipment you need to get the end results you want. Good luck!

herdbull

Reaction score
The more I read up about it that does seem to be the easiest and best way to do it. adding a small amp separate from the factory system. Thanks for the heads up on the processor. Probably wouldn't have come across that or the added resistance required on my own. What kind of resistance are we talking? Plug and play type? I found these processors and they appear to be relatively inexpensive if they'll work.

Users who are viewing this thread