Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory airbag suspension and overhead campers

Rnpick

Reaction score
We just bought a 2023 dodge ram 2500hd 4x4 and a new 2023 Lance 865 camper. My question is…should we have bed lowered when driving or use alt. Leveling as it drives terrible with airbags. Any solutions out here?!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7760.jpeg
    IMG_7760.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 25

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2500 is probably the worst possible platform for a rigid in bed camper there is as the springs, coil or air, sit inboard the frame rails.

You should be looking at adding supplemental air bags (they are outboard of the factory bags). If you offroad, also use daystar cradles.

As to the bed lowering or ALT trailer height, all that's doing is lowering the rear. ALT is used for travel and lowers 1". Any other mode cancels at 8MPH.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
We just bought a 2023 dodge ram 2500hd 4x4 and a new 2023 Lance 865 camper. My question is…should we have bed lowered when driving or use alt. Leveling as it drives terrible with airbags. Any solutions out here?!!!

Can't use bed lowering mode while driving, only norm or alt. I would use alt height loaded, but on the 2500 there aren’t any big advantages to it.

I agree which the other comments, the Ram 2500 is not a good setup for a slide-in camper. I would upgrade the rear anti-sway bar and add aftermarket airbags. You can leave the air bags at min pressure when empty and let the auto-level do its thing, but loaded with the camper you can let them work together to decrease sway.

So well over payload? How aggressive is the sag?

It has the auto-level suspension, so it won’t sag unless overloaded and the air suspension stops trying to level.

Last edited by a moderator:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the max load on those bags?

Higher than RAWR, but I’ve never seen a published number. Bags of that size are often good for 7,500lbs combined, but I don’t think the system will run them with enough air for that.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Max load capacity on our dodge states 22,000lbs. GVW is 10,000lbs. We are just looking for some advice for the factory air bag/auto leveling system!
I dont know where you got the 22,000lbs but thats very wrong.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
22K lbs is GCWR, and mostly marketing as it is not easy to obtain real world. It also has nothing to do with what you’re trying to do.

You have the worst HD truck for a big slide-in and need to supplement the auto-level with aftermarket airbags and a larger rear anti-sway bar.

The auto-level isn’t the issue, it’s the way Ram designed the coil/air spring rear suspension. It’s not a good design for high CG loads.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Max load capacity on our dodge states 22,000lbs. GVW is 10,000lbs. We are just looking for some advice for the factory air bag/auto leveling system!

You were provided that info (use Alt if you want to lower the bed 1")

What we're trying to help you understand is that anything you try to do with it is futile and won't improve the issues you're having. This may not be what you want to hear, but it's the God's honest truth from a very well informed group here. Honestly, we're trying to help you.

The design of the suspension on the 2500, with inboard coils, causes unsettling body roll with high center of gravity loads like that slide in camper. You're also possibly already nearing payload listed on the door sticker when running "wet" with the camper, all the gear and passengers. If you're pulling the UTV, add that hitch weight as well. If it's a diesel (you didn't say) you're well over payload.

The collective recommendation is if you want to improve the handling, you're going to need to either install supplemental air springs and a better rear sway bar, or trade it in for a leaf sprung 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread